VDPAU unusable with fixes/30

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gpw928
Junior
Australia

VDPAU unusable with fixes/30

Post by gpw928 »

Hi,

I have just upgraded to Debian 10 using the source MythTV fixes/30.

I have had to abandon VDPAU (frontend Setup->Video->Playback->VDPAU High Quality) because the program guide gets blanked out when I press the button to see it.

I think it may be related to "picture-in-picture" because pressing the "guide" button causes the TV show transmission to be moved to a small window in the upper right corner (which works), while the rest of the screen which should show the program guide is black.

Everything else works, but I can't see the program guide. Switching to Using "High Quality" (no VDPAU) works around the problem.

I use fairly low end NVIDIA cards for MythTV. I get the problem on both GeForce GT 430 and GeForce 210 cards. Both of these worked with VDPAU on fixes/27.

Is this a known issue?
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: VDPAU unusable with fixes/30

Post by pgbennett »

You did not mention which theme you are using. I suggest trying another theme, for example Steppes, or the default, Mythcenter.
gpw928
Junior
Australia

Re: VDPAU unusable with fixes/30

Post by gpw928 »

Thank you for your assistance.

I used Terra 1.4. I have also now tested Steppes 30.4 and MythCenter 1.4.

They all behave in the same way with VDPAU enabled. When looking at the program guide, the TV display shrinks and moves to a corner, bright traces flash across the screen momentarily, and the area where the guide should be is black. I am using a HDMI display connected to well aged PCIe NVIDIA cards.

One consolation is that VDPAU (Normal, and High Quality) is consistently using more CPU that "Normal" and "High Quality" rendering (without VDPAU). It never used to be like that, but it's been a long time since I last checked (10 years ago, enabling VDPAU saved my 2.83GHz Core-2 duo from flatlining).