Mythwelcome hanging (?) on Linux Mint [SOLVED]

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

par73
Newcomer
United States of America

Mythwelcome hanging (?) on Linux Mint [SOLVED]

Post by par73 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:35 am

I have MythTV 29.1 installed on a PC running LInux Mint 19.3 (MATE), which I use for both front and back ends. The PC is set to automatically log my account in and run mythwelcome, even when the BIOS is booting it for a scheduled recording. As long as I interact with mythwelcome within 30 minutes to maybe an hour of when the machine boots, things work fine. If it boots and records for maybe an hour or so without my interacting with it, the adventures begin.

In the most recent case, the machine was set to record three hours of TV (and did), but did not automatically shut down. When I checked it, the screen was frozen, displaying mythwelcome with a time stamp roughly 45 minutes after boot. Neither the remote control nor the keyboard were recognized. I was able to open a remote terminal, however, and Mythweb worked. According to Mythweb, the backend was running (but idle) and all the scheduled recordings had been done. I had no luck getting the display to update. In a last ditch attempt, I killed the X server from the terminal, but was unable to restart it (possibly using the wrong commands?).

I'd be happy to hear suggestions about what might be going wrong, or just which logs to look in (and what to look for the next time it happens). The problem appears to be intermittent. The last time I was travelling (for about a week), the first few days of recordings went fine, and then the machine failed to shut down and remained running until I got home, with all subsequent recordings missed.

Thanks,
Paul
Last edited by par73 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wmorrison
Senior
United States of America

Re: Mythwelcome hanging (?) on Linux Mint

Post by wmorrison » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:14 pm

Don't know if it's related, but check if any jobs are hanging. (commercial flagging, metadata lookup.)

jksj
Junior
Great Britain

Post by jksj » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:39 am

The functionality in Mythwelcome has been superseded by the Idle Screen see https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Idle_Screen which I think is a considerable improvement.

par73
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by par73 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:25 pm

wmorrison wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:14 pm
Don't know if it's related, but check if any jobs are hanging. (commercial flagging, metadata lookup.)
Thanks. Worth a try. I just have to remember to do it the next time it hangs. :-)

par73
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by par73 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:29 pm

jksj wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:39 am
The functionality in Mythwelcome has been superseded by the Idle Screen see wiki/Idle_Screen which I think is a considerable improvement.
Worth looking at. Curiously, when I click the button on the Mythwelcome screen to start the front end, it sometimes goes to the idle screen. Usually it goes to the front end main menu as expected. If it's on the idle screen, the left arrow or back buttons on the remote take me to the front end main menu. Until I saw your response, I had no idea what the idle screen was. I assumed the system was accidentally registering a double input from the remote, but maybe not.

par73
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by par73 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:26 pm

Based on the reply from @jksj, I changed from automatically staring mythwelcome at boot to automatically starting mythfrontend (which falls back to the idle screen after a specified amount of time). To date, I have not had any failures, even if I do not interact with the front end until an hour or more after recording started, so I'm going to call this solved. I occasionally have to exit mythfrontend and start mythwelcome, to get a convenient way of running the grabber, blocking shutdown or whatever, so it's not entirely convenient ... but it's much better than having the system hang.