Video Grabber Problems

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

splurben
Newcomer
Australia

Video Grabber Problems

Post by splurben » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:11 am

Okay, recently, grabber:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Movie/tmdb3.py
__title__ = "TheMovieDB.org V3"
__author__ = "Raymond Wagner"
__version__ = "0.3.7"
won't find any title that has a year in the filename, grabbing always fails. Here's an example saved converted recording which I've moved into the Videos: Dead End 1937.mkv returns no results. If I change the name to Dead End.avi I get 27 results (none of which say which year they are from so it's nearly impossible to choose the correct one).

I'm on MythTV 0.27.1_p20140817 on Gentoo Linux:

Code: Select all

# uname -a
Linux thialfi2 3.15.10-gentoo #1 SMP Fri Aug 22 09:31:06 AWST 2014 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
I have 16GB of DDR3 RAM and 6TB RAID10 array with 1TB of free space.

Also, I have two pytmdb3 cache files, one in /etc/mythtv/pytmdb3.cache and one in /home/mythtv/.mythtv/pytmdb3.cache — should I be occasionally clearing these caches.

Any other tips on improving grabber results? Currently, I almost always have to look it up on the TMDB website and enter the TMDB:number directly into the Myth Video details.

paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Video Grabber Problems

Post by paulh » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:17 am

I'd have to defer to Raymond for a definitive answer but it definitely seems a little fragile at finding results :)

I assume this is the move you want the search to find http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/27973-dead-end

I had a quick look at tmdb3.py and I don't see it using the year at all. There is searchMovieWithYear() in tmdb_api.py that would use the year if the query was like 'Dead End (1937)' with the year in brackets and the last thing in the query but I don't think it's actually used by the grabber.

You may find that if you change themes you will be shown more info including the release year to help find the correct match but you would have to change the file name to Dead End.avi to get the grabber to find any matches at all with is less than ideal.

splurben
Newcomer
Australia

Post by splurben » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:35 pm

Wow, okay, so everything you've said is utterly reinforcing the problems I have and I can assume it won't be remedied any time soon and that my MythTV isn't broken.

Of course 27973 is the movie I want, which I will happily enter manually into the TMDB ID field and all is as expected.

rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Post by rwagner » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Searching the TMDB API for a movie with the year included will usually yield no results, since the API is designed to be explicitly given a year if you intend to filter using such. There is the helper function paulh found in the TMDB bindings which will try to pull a year out of the title and use it if it is expecting one, however this should really never by used by MythTV or the grabber. If we are to parse year out of the title, and use it to assist in searches, that should be something done internally by the file scanner, and then handed off explicitly to the grabber using a command line option. The scanner does not currently do this, and the only "handling" of years in filenames it does have is to discard any text within parentheses, braces, or brackets.

I believe the ability to show years for search results is dependent on the theme. The underlying code exposes that information, but it's up to the theme to actually display it.