White Box covers most of Screen

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jjthomas
Junior
United States of America

Re: White Box covers most of Screen

Post by jjthomas » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:48 am

What step am I missing?

Code: Select all

(21:40)ROOT@anthem:/root# find / -mount -iname 'mythuiwebbrowser.cpp*'
Nothing was found.

(21:41)ROOT@anthem:/root# find /usr/ports -iname mythtv
/usr/ports/multimedia/mythtv

(21:42)ROOT@anthem:/root# ll /usr/ports/multimedia/mythtv
total 63
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    7092 Sep 30 02:50 Makefile
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     307 Sep 23  2019 distinfo
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel      13 Sep 30 20:05 files/
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     650 Nov 25  2016 pkg-descr
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  110958 Feb 10  2019 pkg-plist

(21:42)ROOT@anthem:/root# ll /usr/ports/multimedia/mythtv/files/
total 50
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   560 Feb 10  2019 extrapatch-programs_programs.pro
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1170 Jan 23  2014 mythbackend.in
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1460 Mar 25  2018 patch-CVE-2016-10191
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1384 Feb 10  2019 patch-configure
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  2014 Mar 25  2018 patch-external_FFmpeg_libavformat_rtsp.c
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   432 Mar 25  2018 patch-external_libmythdvdnav_dvdnav_dvdnav_dvdnav.h
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   522 Jul 10  2019 patch-libs_libmythmetadata_imagemetadata.cpp
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   363 Mar 25  2018 patch-libs_libmythtv_DVD_dvdringbuffer.h
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   734 Apr 17 01:35 patch-libs_libmythtv_videodev2.h
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   246 May 21 05:54 patch-libs_libmythui_mythpainter.cpp
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   299 Aug 13  2019 pkg-message.in
(21:43)ROOT@anthem:/root#
Thank you.

-JJ

jalla
Newcomer
Norway

Post by jalla » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:19 pm

I suppose you're used to install pkgs, not ports. Before going into how to build/install the port another minor thing popped up. It appears the mythtv-port was marked 'broken' in the repository just 4 days ago. If you updated your portstree since then you need to edit the Makefile and comment out the line saying BROKEN= ...

There's also a question whether you need the full package or just the frontend (they are separate ports). I only compile mythtv-frontend myself so I can't say if there are any problems building the full mythtv (I avoid testbuilding it as this will install python2.7 + a number of py27-packages as dependencies, something I absolutely won't have on my system).

That aside, this should be the steps to build and (re)install mythtv

save the patch from the previous post somewhere
cd /usr/ports/mythtv (or mythtv-frontend)
make patch
cd work/mythtv-30.0/mythtv/libs/libmythui
patch < saved_extra_patch
cd /usr/ports/mythtv
make
make deinstall; make reinstall; make clean
If you do build the full mythtv and run into problems you can't solve, my suggested workaround would be to make the frontend-port without installing and just copy the binary mythfrontend and libmythui.xxx to their respective destination. You'll find those files under the work/stage directory after a successful make.

jjthomas
Junior
United States of America

Post by jjthomas » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:35 am

I just updated my ports tree the 30th. Timing is everything. I've installed MythTV from both packages and ports. In building a FreeBSD media server I've run into non-maintained ports, and the EOL messages for py27* packages (MythTV and kodi). A frustrating experience at best. Then I turned to a Virtual Machines (VirtualBox) and I have yet to get a Vbox past an update. As this point in time, I see a "2020's" style mess if I keep at it.

I think the best option is to sit this one out until the next round of updates. I don't see a point in pursuing a project that has EOL issues in less than 3 months.

I thank everyone for their help.

-JJ

paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:08 pm

Why don't you guys help your fellow FreeBDS users by fixing the port if it's broken. Give something back instead of take, take, take :evil:

jjthomas
Junior
United States of America

Post by jjthomas » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:28 am

paulh wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:08 pm
Why don't you guys help your fellow FreeBDS users by fixing the port if it's broken. Give something back instead of take, take, take :evil:
That doesn't really help. I thought these forums, specifically one titled, "Troubleshooting" would be where one could get help.

Just because I don't have a "developer" under my name does not mean I don't contribute. I do believe that if my code does not work, I fix it. I don't tell people to contact their OS developers to update their software, nor them to contact their OS creater and tell them to fix my work.

Geez!

paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:09 am

Why don't you understand there is nothing to fix at our end. The problem is with the package maintainers for FreeBSD. What I'm asking is why don't you help your fellow FreeBSD users and help to fix their out of date/broken package.

You don't have to be a developer to contribute to open source. I'm not a developer but a frustrated user like you who got fed up with things not working like they should so I learnt c++ and Linux so I could help the MythTV project.

You could for example contact the port maintainer and let him know it's broken and maybe he can suggest what needs to be done to get it fixed.

Lost Dog
Junior
United States of America

Post by Lost Dog » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:25 pm

jjthomas wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:28 am
paulh wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:08 pm
That doesn't really help. I thought these forums, specifically one titled, "Troubleshooting" would be where one could get help.

Just because I don't have a "developer" under my name does not mean I don't contribute. I do believe that if my code does not work, I fix it. I don't tell people to contact their OS developers to update their software, nor them to contact their OS creater and tell them to fix my work.

Geez!
This really is the oddest thread...

Long ago they fixed the code but it's the FreeBSD package maintainers that have failed to rebuild the package. Paulh and others have patiently troubleshooted the situation and provided a solution.

This is like yelling at the lumber yard because the builders have not finished your house even after all the wood has been delivered!

If you really want to help, read this:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO88 ... ntain-port

Take over maintaining MythTV for FreeBSD and ensure it's up to date with the latest code. If not, switch to a distribution that actively maintains MythTV...

jjthomas
Junior
United States of America

Post by jjthomas » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:19 pm

I'm not sure what is so odd. MythTV does not work. I asked for help. I have tried the posted suggestions. They did not help. paulh seems to think it is my responsibility to tell the FreeBSD crew to fix the MythTV code. That is not my role in life.

I downloaded and tried to compile the code, myself, on my FreeBSD computer. It threw a bunch of errors and never compiled.

If I am going to take on this project, I need to at least get it to work on my own computer. It does not. Then I need to go someplace for help, and get help. Not a lecture on open-source software. In the past, the MythTV forums have been helpful. But if the post paulh is a reflection of the current state of the MythTV developers, I'm, most certainly not, going to take on the responsibility of being a maintainer.

WRT the lumber scenario. My builder ordered 8' 2x4's. The lumber yard delivered 6' boards. Why is it my responsibility to tell the lumber yard they screwed up?

Open source is about everybody coming together to make a good product. If I wanted lectures I would go back to church.

-JJ

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:29 am

It's becoming increasing hard to be civil about this. Do you think it's the mythtv developers responsibility to to maintain the version for your distro. It's not. And they don't do it for any other distro either afaik. Perhaps you should switch distros to one that does keep their software up to date. I'm not sure if the mythtv repo works with bsd, or if bsd even supports repos, but if it does, I suggest you add the mythtv repo so you will get the latest versions/fixes. If you want to switch to linux, xubuntu 20.04lts works well for me. if not, then get a refund.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.

Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:57 am

I think we'll call it a day on this topic.

Steve.