White Box covers most of Screen

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

trryhend@gmail.com
Newcomer
United States of America

White Box covers most of Screen

Post by trryhend@gmail.com »

xmltv-build-errors.txt
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Basically a big white box covers 70% of the screen. It is a white square area and I can only see a strip at bottom and right side of what the MythTV interface should be.
I have some errors that may give us a clue:
The first is just terminal output:
Error parsing: /home/mythtv/.mythtv/cache/contextcache.xml at line: 1  column: 1

Here is an error from xmltv build:
t/test_tv_imdb.t   (Wstat: 0 Tests: 14 Failed: 13)
  Failed tests:  2-14
Files=7, Tests=165, 71 wallclock secs ( 0.07 usr  0.03 sys + 64.14 cusr  6.81 csys = 71.05 CPU)
Result: FAIL
Failed 1/7 test programs. 13/165 subtests failed.
make: *** [Makefile:1802: test_dynamic] Error 255
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in check().

I have another problem:
TV Listings no longer populate. I was using schedules direct and just seems to have stopped working somewhere along the way. I tried to switch to EIT and but conldn't get that to work either.

Here is the output from trying to build xmltv
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: White Box covers most of Screen

Post by bill6502 »

Themes are out of my wheelhouse. But the entire cache can be cleared. It will be regenerated as required.
Or, just remove /home/mythtv/.mythtv/cache/contextcache.xml. Here's what mine v31-Pre one looks like:

Code: Select all

<Configuration>
  <Settings>
    <Theme>Steppes</Theme>
    <Language>en_US</Language>
    <Country>US</Country>
    <GuiHeight>0</GuiHeight>
    <GuiOffsetX>0</GuiOffsetX>
    <GuiOffsetY>0</GuiOffsetY>
    <GuiWidth>0</GuiWidth>
    <RunFrontendInWindow>0</RunFrontendInWindow>
    <AlwaysOnTop>0</AlwaysOnTop>
    <HideMouseCursor>0</HideMouseCursor>
    <ThemePainter>auto</ThemePainter>
    <StartupScreenDelay>2</StartupScreenDelay>
  </Settings>
</Configuration>
I'd recommend opening a new thread for the listings issue. Folks searching by title wouldn't
see a 2nd issue. Be sure to mention your MythTV version. If you're running on master, the
Data Direct feed from Schedules Direct is no longer supported.

I deleted the duplicate original post that didn't have the attachment above.
trryhend@gmail.com
Newcomer
United States of America

~.mythtv/cache/contextcache.xml was just an empty file. I replaced it with your version of it and did not change anything.
By clearing cache, do you mean to rm ~.mythtv/cache ?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

Are you using Qt 5.14? See trac ticket #13544

One of the comments on the Archlinux bug report mentions when you press the right mouse button a menu with a reload option pops up which seems to suggest a Webkit browser window is being displayed somehow :?
trimtab
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by trimtab »

I am also seeing this issue from a fresh build of the mythtv-git package from Arch User Repository.

Mythfrontend slaps up the "White Box" if you do anything except go to recordings and watch something. And as soon as you exit playback the "White Box" appears. So you can't adjust anything in SETUP, because you cannot see it.

If you right click the mouse within the box a RELOAD option appears that does nothing.

Mythfrontend version: makepkg (v30.0-79-ga27754ae7f-dirty)
Vaska
Junior
Canada

Post by Vaska »

I'm also having issues with the screen turning white and becoming unusable. I'm having the issue if I try to enter the any sub items of the setup menu and when after viewing a security camera feed I configured on the main menu and then killing the instance of mpv playing said feed.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary when watching the output of mythfrontend launched with "-v and --log-level debug". It looks like the menu is still accepting input when the screen goes completely white but I can never get it to redraw the white screen with a normal menu.

I'm just taking a guess here, but I suspect this is a QT issue since it happens when with mythfrontend on my server's nvidia card output as well as a remote sshd X forwarding and XQuartz on my MacBookPro. I'm using qt-core version 5.14.0.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

I tried to install Arch in VirtualBox so I could test this but gave up in frustration, I've been spoiled using Ubuntu for to long to mess with this s**t :o (this is coming from someone who used to maintain several systems running Gentoo :roll: )

Anyway I'm convinced this is caused by the MythUIWebBrowser UI component creating an invisible web browser window that for some reason is becoming visible.

You can test this theory by changing the default position and size in the themes base.xml that you are using. So for MythCenter-wide you would edit
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter-wide/base.xml find this section and change the area.

Code: Select all

<!-- Base definition of a webbrowser -->
    <webbrowser name="basewebbrowser">
        <area>20,20,1240,500</area>
        <browserarea>0,0,100%-16,100%-16</browserarea>
        <zoom>1.0</zoom>
        <scrollduration>500</scrollduration>
        <scrollbar name="vertscrollbar" from="basevertscrollbar">
            <area>100%-14,0,14,100%-14</area>
        </scrollbar>
        <scrollbar name="horizscrollbar" from="basehorizscrollbar">
            <area>0,100%-14,100%-14,14</area>
        </scrollbar>
    </webbrowser>

You don't have to recompile but you will have to restart the frontend. If the white box moves/changes size then we know that this is indeed the problem.
lurfen
Newcomer
Sweden

Post by lurfen »

Hi,

I also have the same problem after a recent update of my Arch system.

I have a feeling that the white rectangle has something to do with the rendering area for video output. It only appears after some operations. Most notably after playing back a recorded program or MythVideo file. It also happens after entering most setup menus, even Audio, but not "Edit Keys" for example. Could it be that most setup menus initiate video playback to read capabilities (resolutions etc) or something like that?

Browsing images (photos) also work just fine without getting the white rectangle. Showing images use the native "UI resolution" I guess so it never switch to video playback settings.

My graphics is a "Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630".

Regards,
Tobias
Vaska
Junior
Canada

Post by Vaska »

I made a screen capture video showing an example of my screen going white. It's the entire frontend screen and not just a popup box, but I'm guessing they're both caused by the same thing. In the video I'm running mythfrontend in an X forwarded XQuartz window and then control-c to kill it.

I'm running mythfrontend version: fixes/30 [v30.0-79-ga27754ae7f]

https://youtu.be/jNz7L3JxSl4
lurfen
Newcomer
Sweden

Post by lurfen »

This is what it looks like for me after entering and then exiting playback (mythtv 1:30.0-6 built from AUR).
mythtv_white_box_problem_scaled.jpg
mythtv_white_box_problem_scaled.jpg (13.03 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

And if you move the mouse over the white rectangle and press the right mouse button do you get a menu with a 'Reload' option?

The size and position looks like the default size of the "basewebbrowser" in MythCenter-wide
lurfen
Newcomer
Sweden

Post by lurfen »

Yes you are right. I get the 'Reload' option when right mouse button is pressed.
peteh
Junior
Great Britain

Post by peteh »

I changed the 'browserarea' in base.xml from 100% t0 20%. I now get a small white box in top left and can see whole menu. It may cause different problems later (I've no idea at this stage) but it's a workaround until someone finds a better solution.
Pete
trryhend@gmail.com
Newcomer
United States of America

I changed browserarea to 20% but did not change anything for me. Here is what I changed:
<browserarea>0,0,100%-16,100%-16</browserarea>
to
<browserarea>0,0,20%-16,20%-16</browserarea>
(Changes made to /usr/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter-wide/base.xml did not make a difference)
trryhend@gmail.com
Newcomer
United States of America

Archllinux does not have qt-core but,
I did an upgrade for qt5-base and pacman installed 13 packanges: (pacman -Syu qt5-base)
llvm-libs-9.0.1-1
qt5-base-5.14.0-1
bind-tools-9.14.9-1
ttf-liberation-2.00.5-2
re2-20200101-1
chromium-79.0.3945.88-2
lib32-llvm-libs-9.0.1-1
log4cplus-2.0.5-1
nodejs-13.5.0-2
perl-xml-sax-1.02-1
python-httplib2-0.14.0-1
qt5-tools-5.14.0-2
wine-5.0rc3-1
I still have the white box just like before...