Suspend hangs with WinTV-HVR 995Q tuner

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wrighch
Junior
United States of America

Suspend hangs with WinTV-HVR 995Q tuner

Post by wrighch »

I'm running MythTV v29 under Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver) on a Dell N7010 laptop using a WinTV-HVR-955Q USB tuner stick. All software was installed from the default Ubuntu apt repositories. Almost everything is working as expected. I can use MythTV to watch live TV, tune channels, record TV, and watch recorded shows. But suspend/sleep is not working.

The laptop will shutdown normally and reboot without issue with or without the USB stick is plugged in. And it sleeps and awakens normally when the USB tuner is not plugged in. But when the tuner is plugged in, once the PC has attempted to sleep, it hangs and requires a forced power-off restart -- accomplished by holding the power button for 10 seconds.

The sequence is as follows: Whenever I explicitly request suspend, or when I allow the configured idle time to expire and the laptop attempts to suspend itself, the display goes black and the HDD spins down. But the box hangs at that point. The PC’s power light remains lit-steady (rather than pulsating as it does during a "normal" sleep). Nothing will awaken the box – keyboard, mouse, and power button activities have no effect. Power-off reset is the only option, after which the laptop will then reboot normally.

I have examined /var/log/syslog and see no differences in logged events when suspend is requested with and without the USB stick plugged in. In both cases, the final log entries indicate that the PC has reached the desired sleep state.

If I boot with the USB tuner unplugged and then plug it in; its various embedded devices appear in /dev/dvb/adapter0 but MythTV reports All tuners busy and MythTV doesn't work. This tuners busy behavior is documented in the MythTV Wiki. Manually restarting the mythtv-backend service from the tuners busy state results in all MythTV features working as desired. … just not sleep/suspend.

In summary: When the tuner stick is plugged in, the PC will not suspend (or, at least, cannot awaken from suspend).

BTW: With Ubuntu, the light on the stick remains lit at all times. Whereas, on the same PC, when I dual-boot into Windows-7, the stick works without issue with the Windows WinTV app, I can sleep and awaken the PC without issue, and the lights on the stick remain off except when it's actually in use.

My issue appears to be similar to, but slightly different from, the issue reported here (search.php?keywords=suspend+hangs) since in that post the system appears to sleep/wake correctly while mythtv-backend is stopped. In my case, the state of the MythTV backend makes no difference.

Based on the foregoing, I do not believe this issue relates to MythTV. However, I have posted a query similar to this on multiple troubleshooting web sites without result. So I am posting to this forum in the hopes that some other MythTV user can offer some insight or even a productive path forward for further investigation.