[Solved] UserJob failed after recording complete

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wrighch
Junior
United States of America

[Solved] UserJob failed after recording complete

Post by wrighch »

I'm running MythTV v29 on Ubuntu 18.04. I'm trying to use handbrake to transcode a standard MythTV recording to mp4. No commercial removal, cutlist, or anything like that. Just a simple transcode from one container to another. Scheduled recordings are completed as expected and the UserJob is initiated as expected. But the backend log indicates:

Code: Select all

mythbackend: mythbackend[6802]: E UserJob_30 jobqueue.cpp:2445 (DoUserJobThread) JobQueue: User Job 'HandBrakeCLI -i "1041_20191119131000.ts" -b 500 -o "1041_20191119131000.ts.mp4"' failed.
No transcoded output of any kind is found. If I run the above HandBrake command from a command window, it runs as expected and produces the desired transcoded mp4 file. The transcoded file then plays as desired in my FIreFox or Edge browsers.

But I simply can't get MythTV to automatically run the UserJob successfully. What am I doing wrong?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: UserJob failed after recording complete

Post by bill6502 »

See if the command is in the PATH of the user running the backend (most likely 'mythtv'.)

Try this: sudo --set-home --login --user=mythtv and then run the command. If that
fails, try using the full path in the UserJob.
wrighch
Junior
United States of America

Post by wrighch »

Thanks Bill. You rescued me again. The command (HandBrakeCLI) is in the user's path. But the recording itself was not. When I fully elaborated the path to the recording, the UserJob ran as expected. All of my manual testing was done with my Present Working Directory set to the MythTV recordings folder, so I never encountered this during my manual testing. Too bad the backend log couldn't provide more detail beyond the simple "job failed" report. But it's working now. Thanks again.
wrighch
Junior
United States of America

Post by wrighch »

This can be marked as SOLVED. I don't know how to do that.

Edit: Just edit the Subject: of the initial post (which has been done.)
Last edited by bill6502 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added how to mark as solved