Commercial skipping has stopped working

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kiniku
Newcomer
United States of America

Commercial skipping has stopped working

Post by kiniku »

I built this Unbuntu server from the ground up. My MythTV had been working flawlessly for months. I use Webmin to keep everything updated. But about 3 months ago the commercial skipping has stopped working. I use Kodi's MythTV plugin as the front in for my Amazon Fire TV, Nvidia Shield, and Windows 10. But commercial skipping isn't working on all of my front end devices. I have patched my server. Rebooted it several times. I even enabled auto transcoding on all my recording hoping that would "help"? But in the past, I have never needed to do that.

I am not a Linux expert. Everything I do I've done via step by step guides on rails or from the advice of others. Any suggestions on what I could do to troubleshoot this?

I miss my commercial skipping :(

Thank you!
kiniku
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Commercial skipping has stopped working

Post by kiniku »

It seems to me this is one of the best features that distinguishes MythTV from other DVR products. But this post has been up for weeks and not even a Dev can offer something helpful?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

And it's out of my wheelhouse too. I'd start by looking in /var/log/mythtv/mythcommflag.log for clues.
[I never transcode and agree that it won't fix anything.]

I've noticed that if commercial flagging starts during the time I'm watching a program as it
records, mythcommflag is likely to fail.
Last edited by bill6502 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct path to log file.
glenb
Junior
United States of America

Post by glenb »

if you are using the kodi pvr module. and kodi 18.4 the commercial skip stopped working. try 18.5 or workaround in 18.4 by setting in kodi pvr settings section under playback set 'fallback frame rate' to 50 fps and it will work again.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

kiniku wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:46 pm
It seems to me this is one of the best features that distinguishes MythTV from other DVR products. But this post has been up for weeks and not even a Dev can offer something helpful?
Had you tried asking on a Kodi as opposed to a MythTV forum?
Don't forget the Wiki.