mythTV fails to save recordings

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ricks03
Junior
United States of America

mythTV fails to save recordings

Post by ricks03 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:39 pm

I have what was a fully-functioning mythtv environment that's been in place for years.

CentOS7, mythtv-0.28-4.el7.nux.x86_64 using a HDHomerun to record shows

Suddenly it's stopped working. The lineup is correct, and recording still "record", but no file is created. If I select the show to watch from the front end, I get an error "The file for this recording cannot be found".

I can see this in the logs:
mythbackend.20191015210808.2407.log:2019-10-15 17:46:29.817269 E [2407/3618] HttpServer72 programinfo.cpp:2594 (GetPlaybackURL) - ProgramInfo(2051_20191015214600.ts): GetPlaybackURL: '2051_20191015214600.ts' should be local, but it can not be found.

The HDHomerun still works (I can view shows on my phone via HDHomerun software). The listings still work (I can view them in the web interface). The scheduled shows still "record" and show up as recorded, but the .ts file isn't created. I can watch liveTV via the mythtv front end.

The tuner shows up in mythtv with the correct IP address (the address for the HDHomerun is set with a DHCP reservation).

The obvious reason would be out of file space, but I still have storage space as well:
/dev/sdb1 2.8T 2.4T 355G 88% /data

I hadn't changed any permissions on the file system any time recently - that system mostly just sits there and works; I don't generally tinker with it.

Mythtv can write to the folder, because the .png files are updated when I try to list the shows (ex:):
-rw-rw-rw- 1 mythtv mythtv 6.8K Oct 15 12:34 2502_20190604165700.ts.-1.100x56.png

Any suggestions

wmorrison
Junior
United States of America

Re: mythTV fails to save recordings

Post by wmorrison » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 pm

So it appears to record, gives no errors or failures, shows the recording in the watch list, but can't find the file when you try to play it?

I assume you've searched your system for the actual .ts file? That it's not created in the expected directory? (Or is created in an unexpected directory?)

Does your available storage space stay the same after a recording, or does it continue to go down? (E.g if it goes down the file is writing somewhere.)

Are you trying to watch immediately after recording (or even during) or is this a day or more after the recording? Could expiration settings be messed up?

No automatic system updates that could change permissions (which you said you didn't change manually?)

You said live tv works, which, since MythTV records to a file and plays it even for live tv, is a good sign. Do you see that file when playing live tv? Do you see it after exiting live tv, up until the expiry time you've set for live recordings? And similarly to scheduled recordings, storage space should go down while watching live tv and stop when you exit.

ricks03
Junior
United States of America

Re: mythTV fails to save recordings

Post by ricks03 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:20 am

Yes, it tries to record, but there's no file created. File space isn't changing.

It's usually some time afterwards, but testing also fails immediately after recording.

Yes, I can see the files for live TV.

I _think_ at this point I've diagnosed the problem. I think the antenna is failing (or for some reason the broadcast strength has decreased). When I tinker with Live TV, it's a channel I don't normally record on. Other channels don't work. I've ordered a new antenna