DVB Tuners with multi-standard frontends.

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

DVB Tuners with multi-standard frontends.

Post by MikeB2013 »

I have just got a TBS 6522 PCI-e Dual tuner card which has two frontends for each adapter, frontend 0 is DVB-T/T2 using demux0, frontend 1 is DVB-S/S2, again using demux0.

MythTV works fine for DVB-T/T2 but fails to configure with frontend 1, DVB-S/S2, as MythTV tries to use demux1/dvr1 which do not exist.

This problem was reported against Astrometa usb tuner, in trac ticket https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13052

I have attached a patch to that ticket which solved the problem for me, you just use mythtv-setup new Capture card for the appropriate frontend. You can use either EIT or external xmltv data in this configuration.
Hopefully the developers will consider the patch for inclusion.

MythTV cannot use both frontends at the same time, but it is possible to configure MythTV to automatically switch between them, assuming you are using external xmltv data, and Open DVB card on demand is selected, using Input Groups (Interactions between inputs, in Input Connections screen) to make sure if adapter<n>/frontend0 is in use adapter<n>/frontend1 is unavailable for use and vice versa. Note that use of Active EIT in this configuration is not possible.

Mike
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Re: DVB Tuners with multi-standard frontends.

Post by MikeB2013 »

Just an update.
The patch is now in mythtv master and so is included mythbuntu ppa 31 builds.

This allows direct configuration of tuners such as TBS 6522 (Dual DVB-S/S2,DVB-T/T2,DVB-C), Astrometa USB DVB-T/T2 or any others with two frontends but only a single demux.

When configuring the Capture Cards just make sure you select the appropriate frontend, by default mythtv-setup will start at adapter0/frontend0 (the dropdown allows direct selection of adapter<n>/frontend<n>).

Note that in Capture Cards there is also a new option of setting "Delivery System", this dropdown allows selection of any modulation system (DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-C/A, DVB-C/B etc.) available on the frontend. The older methods of using dvb-fe-tool to set frontend modulation system or using symlinks to demux0 are no longer necessary.

So for the Astrometa USB DVB-T/2 configure adapter<n>/frontend1 setting Delivery System to DVB-T2. The other frontend should not be configured.

For TBS 6522, same thing applies, just configure the adapter/frontend you want including setting of the Delivery System.
Doppel-D
Junior
Germany

Re: DVB Tuners with multi-standard frontends.

Post by Doppel-D »

Hi Mike,
thank you for the patch and and the update regarding it's inclusion in v31! It is so elemental and long awaited......where can I donate? ;- )
kind regards