Deleted Recordings that Won't Delete from MythTV

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TSinge
Newcomer
United States of America

Deleted Recordings that Won't Delete from MythTV

Post by TSinge »

I'm having a time with deleted recordings! I've searched the forums, and haven't had much luck figuring out what to do here...

The specific problem I'm trying to solve is that there are recordings that are in the deleted group (and have been for years (2015 rose bowl parade anyone?) After using the delete button, they are removed from the UI, but are never actually deleted. How do I get rid of them? There are only two, but it's the principle if the thing.

Not sure if it's related, but this started because there were hundreds of recordings that were in that deleted category. Not visible in the client (I use Kodi as my front-end) but of course, still taking up space. I couldn't figure out why they were there, so went about deleting them. My hope was that I won't have to do this again, but I don't know how they got there, and I want the system to be more aggressive with getting rid of those deleted recordings, but can't figure out how to get the system to do it...

Help! Thanks!
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Deleted Recordings that Won't Delete from MythTV

Post by mythbuntubox »

I had a similar problem quite some time ago. If you have not already done so, try using the MythTV frontend client to delete the recordings from within the deleted group filter. If this does not actually delete the files, then try to delete them manually using their actual file name and then run a database repair/optimise the database using optimize_mythdb.pl. Hopefully, that will fix it.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Deleted Recordings that Won't Delete from MythTV

Post by paulh »

This is usually a problem with file permissions. Check the user that runs the backend can delete those files by comparing the file permissions on those two bad files with other good recordings.

I common way for this to happen is if the backend was run in a console, maybe to debug a problem, as a regular user and not the mythtv user that most systems use to run the BE.