Any Stable Mythtv Distrobutions out there?

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Timmy777
Newcomer
Australia

Any Stable Mythtv Distrobutions out there?

Post by Timmy777 »

I just tried the lastest version of Mythbuntu 16.04.5 LTS, that is broken in MythtvWeb. You fix one thing, storage directories which it doesn't do, then you fix config problem, then you can't cancel recording, comes with error, which the error doesn't even exist on the internet.

Now I'm trying 14.04.5, which seems to have same problem of can't cancel recording which 16 seems to have..

I tried latest version LinHes and it failed after 12 hours, can't access streams couldn't access the recordings.

It seems to me all distrobutions are hit and miss, and them amount of time installing to find working one is very frustrating.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Re: Any Stable Mythtv Distrobutions out there?

Post by Steve Goodey »

Once setup Mythbuntu has been brilliant. I've been running 16.04 for a year with regular updates to MytvTV v29 via fixes/29.

There could be a problem with configuring MythTV where the backend can be tricky to shutdown and this could cause problems with setup.
sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend
mythtv-setup
sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend
It might help if you were to post error messages here with logs. :)
Don't forget the Wiki.
dborn
Junior
Canada

Re: Any Stable Mythtv Distrobutions out there?

Post by dborn »

When my previous myth setup started to get old (no more support), I tried and tried all sorts of different setups on the second partition of my dual-boot disk and nothing worked well enough for me to consider doing the switch for good. I tried LinHES and was never able to get it running (so much for the "appliance"). :)

Setting up mythtv is not for the faint of heart, I admit, but once I got everything done correctly, my setup works pretty well right now. I'm *still* putting finishing touches to it, after a few months! but it is mostly rock-solid right now, unless I go "improve" things ;)
My current setup is xubuntu 18.04.1 and mythtv 29.0 (too bad mythbuntu died, I was pretty happy with 10.04).