MythTV updates and channel icons

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

petee
Junior
United States of America

MythTV updates and channel icons

Post by petee »

I have been running MythTV on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 for a while now and its been doing fine.

I wasn't sure where to post on the forum. Is there a section just to report issues with most current updates?

Recently (well months ago) started doing updates whenever they were available.

IE: today 4th of July, 2014 its:

mythtv-backend 0.27.2+fixes.20140704.40f8852-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1

I have noticed an issue a few updates back that seemed to remove my channel logos. They are all there but do not appear in the listings page on the webgui.

They were always there before. Is it me or did an update of MythTV cause me an issue?

Looking at the directories saw them in the

Code: Select all

/home/pete/.mythtv/channels 
directory

I copied them over to the

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels
directory

Now they all appear in the listings page on the webgui.

The dates of the above mentioned directory are all from February 2014.

Is it some sym link that is incorrect?
Jason
Newcomer
New Zealand

Re: MythTV updates and channel icons

Post by Jason »

I think the problem is that on mythbuntu mythtv-setup is run as your user and then the backend is run as mythtv user so the icons get saved in one place and looked for in another
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Hhi,

Did you already review/apply the suggestions in: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_icon ... l_Location ?
You don't need any symlinks if it's done correctly.
petee
Junior
United States of America

Post by petee »

Thank-you guys.

I have never paid attention as it just worked.

@ Jason - curious how that changed and wondering what is the easiest way to fix dynamically?

@ bill6502 - Yes - that is what led me to just copying over the icons from one directory to another (the web gui channel list does show the icons fine now)

I am currently only using one Ubuntu 12.XX MythTV server with 5 tuners (been like that for a while).

Concurrently using XX XBMC boxes as my live streamers attached to a variety of LCD TVs in the house.

Looking at the processes this morning on the box see:

User running:
1 - /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/share/mythbuntu/session.sh

MythTV running mythbackend
1 - /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv --daemon

Live TV streaming from XBMC boxes did quit a couple of days ago and since yesterday's update patching on the MythTV box live streaming is working again on the XBMC boxes. I did notice more patching updates today July 6, 2014.

Such that all looks OK today. The channel icon stuff didn't really mess with the base functions; so it isn't a big deal anyways. The recording / commercial skip stuff is working well. I am also back feeding in house channels over to the MythTV box here and that too is working fine.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,
Did you already review/apply the suggestions in: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_icon ... l_Location ?
You don't need any symlinks if it's done correctly.
@ bill6502 - Yes - that is what led me to just copying over the icons from one directory to another (the web gui channel list does show the icons fine now)
Just to be clear, you can't just move the icons to the proper directory. The data in the channels table in the MythtV database was also changed to implement the ChannelIcons Storage Group and the 'old' method stored full path names to the icons. The Storage Group method stores only the icon's file name. Thus the Wiki entry:

Run mythtv-setup and get a new set of channel icons. They'll be stored in the directory above.
You should run mythtv-setup as the mythtv user. I suspect your mythweb icons work because they're cached in: /var/www/mythweb/data/tv_icons/ (or wherever you've got mythweb installed.)
petee
Junior
United States of America

Post by petee »

Thank you Bill.

Yup; have run mythtv-setup as a mythtv user a few times in the last two weeks. The icons never came back so I just copied them as mentioned above.

Looking at

/var/www/mythweb/data/tv_icons/
I see the JPG files (icons) there and dated 4th of July, 2014; copy and paste from then.

Going back to setup and channel editor; I see my icons there and have redone the channel scan and icon download a few times to try to get them back before I did the copy mentioned above.

Looking at the DB now; mythconverg / storagegroup and see the following. IE: there is no channelicons in the storagegroup. Is there supposed to be?

"1","Default","ICS-MythTV","/var/lib/mythtv/recordings"
"2","Videos","ICS-MythTV","/var/lib/mythtv/videos/"
"3","Fanart","ICS-MythTV","/var/lib/mythtv/fanart/"
"4","Trailers","ICS-MythTV","/var/lib/mythtv/trailers/"
"5","Coverart","ICS-MythTV","/var/lib/mythtv/coverart/"
"7","Screenshots","ICS-MythTV","/var/lib/mythtv/screenshots/"
"8","Banners","ICS-MythTV","/var/lib/mythtv/banners/"
"9","DB Backups","ICS-MythTV","/var/lib/mythtv/db_backups/"
"10","LiveTV","ICS-MythTV","/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/"
"11","Streaming","ICS-MythTV","/var/lib/mythtv/streaming/"
Looking at the mythconverg / channel table I do see the icon JPGs but no directory reference doing a quickie query.

channelgroupnames and channelgroup, shows no data.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

No, the ChannelIcons Storage Group is one of the built-in groups. Everything you've done looks good. Here's the another way to verify that the icons are where they're supposed to be: http://ICS-MythTV:6544/Guide/GetChannel ... nnelIdHere , assuming you didn't change your hostname in config.xml (otherwise, just use the real hostname or IP.)

I did re-read your posts and noticed you're using XBMC, which I don't, and I can't speak to how it works there. The URL above uses the MythTV Services API and recent posts elsewhere suggest that an XBMC developer is moving towards using that API. The only other thing I can think of is that the backend must be running as the mythtv user (as opposed to yourself or root.) But given your earlier information, that would seem to be the case.

It sounds like you used something like SELECT chanid,icon FROM channel; and got the proper results.
petee
Junior
United States of America

Post by petee »

Thank you Bill for your suggestions.
Here's the another way to verify that the icons are where they're supposed to be...
Yup; works here.
mythtvgetchannelicon.jpg
mythtvgetchannelicon.jpg (28.03 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
XBMC is working fine relating to live TV and recorded TV from mythTV.
backend must be running as the mythtv user
Looking at upstart of the mythtv-backend it is running as user mythtv.

LANG=$LANG exec /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv --daemon
Should I change the script above to using "me" instead of "mythtv" or does it even matter?
It sounds like you used something like SELECT chanid,icon FROM channel; and got the proper results.
Yup I did.

I do not really every look or pay attention to the icons on the live TV view in XBMC.

Here I have been only updating MythTV whenever I see an update. Relating to XBMC; updating but not as frequently.

The above noted I am doing OK now.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,
Should I change the script above to using "me" instead of "mythtv" or does it even matter?
mythtv is the 'normal' user. It matters because the user owns files created by the backend. I wouldn't change it. For the record, you can remove the channels directory in "me"/.mythtv/ (or just rename it before deleting it if you want to play it safe, that's what I did.)

From a MythTV standpoint, everything looks A-OK. Maybe XBMC is still trying to access the icons the pre 0.27 way (and failing.)