Upgraded from .27 to .28, now LiveTV stops abruptly

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dapharsyde
Newcomer
United States of America

Upgraded from .27 to .28, now LiveTV stops abruptly

Post by dapharsyde »

I recently tried upgrading my system from .27 to .28, and have noticed that watching LiveTV now stops abruptly, and how quickly it happens seems to be dependent on the amount of data in the video stream. Watching a 1080p channel stops after 2-3 minutes, whereas a 720p channel works for longer before stopping.

I can see the .mpg file growing in size on my file system (which has plenty of available space), before it suddenly stops for an unknown reason.

I am using a CETON ETH6 tuner device, which worked reliably in version .27 - after upgrading to .28, I also tried removing and re-adding my capture cards, but it has not fixed the issue. I have the same issues with version .29 - as soon as I revert back to version .27, everything works fine again.

Can anyone please help? Thanks in advance!!
dapharsyde
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Upgraded from .27 to .28, now LiveTV stops abruptly

Post by dapharsyde »

Some findings:

On version .28, I see this in the output of mythbackend:

QObject::killTimer: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread
QObject::startTimer: Timers cannot be started from another thread

These errors do not appear in my version running .27

I see in cetonrtsp.cpp, there are some "keep alive" functions that might no longer be working:

Code: Select all

void CetonRTSP::StartKeepAlive()
{
    if (_timer)
        return;
    int timeout = std::max(_timeout - 5, 5);
    LOG(VB_RECORD, LOG_DEBUG, LOC +
        QString("Start KeepAlive, every %1s").arg(timeout));
    _timer = startTimer(timeout * 1000);
}

void CetonRTSP::StopKeepAlive()
{
    if (_timer)
    {
        killTimer(_timer);
        LOG(VB_RECORD, LOG_DEBUG, LOC + "Stop KeepAlive");
    }
    _timer = 0;
}
Yet this code looks to be all the same in .27 as well, so I'm not sure why mythbackend is now throwing the errors about timers being in the wrong thread. Any ideas?
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

I have never had a problem with ceton eth 6. I am currently on version 29. I recommend MythTV version 29. However if you want to use 0.28, make sure you have the latest build from the PPA. Changes after the Ubuntu LTS release do not get included in the Ubuntu repositories and there are sometimes serious bugs in the version in the Ubuntu repository.

If you still have problems, please give information about the operating system version, the MythTV full version number (mythutil --version) and any log messages that indicate a failure. Also let us know if you used a package or built it yourself.
dapharsyde
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dapharsyde »

Hi - thanks for your response. I ended up doing a complete fresh install onto a new operating system, and the problem goes away. The issue must have been related to my old build. I guess it was time to move on from 15.10 anyways :)