New client to old backend

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dualboot
Junior
Great Britain

New client to old backend

Post by dualboot » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi All,
I have a mythbuntu frontend/backend that I haven't updated in a long time. I have had a few nightmares with upgrades in the past that has left me reluctant to touch the set up for fear of spending yet another chunk of hours sysadmining mythtv rather than watching it. The frontend version says it is 0.25 (can give exact details if someone can tell me what would be useful.)

I'm now suffering the consequesnes of this neglect - I would like to set up a new front on an Ubuntu 16 LTS desktop, but mythtv-frontend complains the database is many many version out of date. I've also tried Kodi Mythbox after some reading suggested it might be more forgiving.

Is there a linux client I could use that will work with older backends ?

Is there a low risk way of upgrading the backend, or performing a clean install and restoring ? Most of the recording are on a separate hard drive, and the rest (around 70G in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings) I have space to move to another system and then restore when needed.

pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: New client to old backend

Post by pgbennett » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:03 pm

I recommending upgrading to the latest version. I would wait for Ubuntu 18.04 which comes out in a few days, so that you have the longest period before needing to upgrade again. I recommend installing a fresh copy of the operating system in a new partition. You need about 30GB for the new partition. You will need to backup the database and restore it into the new partition. MythTV setup program will automatically upgrade the database once you have restored it. You should go through the setup and make sure the main settings are correct. You can mount the recording group file system and access it from the new install. One thing to be careful of is you need to make sure the mythtv group and mythtv user have the same uids as before. You can achieve this by manually creating the mythtv user and group with the correct ids before installing mythtv. If you cannot do this you need to change ownership in all of your recordings and videos and their directories.

By installing in a new partition you can switch between old and new setup until you are happy with the new.

Good luck!

daraden
Senior
United States of America

Re: New client to old backend

Post by daraden » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 am

I'll second pgbennet's suggestion. It is the same procedure I plan to follow and the reason I've been procrastinating on upgrading to 29. only difference is I'm using a separate disk, with a slightly larger root partition to accommodate extra services/programs I use.

For a dedicated backend/frontend you may want to consider Lubuntu or Xubuntu(Mythbuntu used this for it's base) for a less resource intensive Ubuntu option.

Installing the ppa is highly recommended, so that you can receive the latest updates.
Installing MythTV on Ubuntu

some instructions for the upgrade/migration procedure:Building a new backend to replace an existing machine