mythtv-backend systemd configuration [SOLVED]

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fraserspur
Newcomer
Australia

mythtv-backend systemd configuration [SOLVED]

Post by fraserspur »

I recently updated from mythbuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04 and mythtv 0.29 using the mythbuntu repo.

After upgrading I want to change the backend to use --logpath /var/log/mythtv for logging but found my system has two different systemd files - /lib/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service and /etc/systemd/system/mythbackend.service, the file in /lib specifies syslog and the file in /etc specifies logpath.

I found the 'Systemd mythbackend Configuration' page that states 'it's ok to have one in /lib/systemd/system and one in /etc/systemd/system that overrides it as long as the names are identical'.

If I rename /etc/systemd/system/mythbackend.service to mythtv-backend.service athen the backend won't start. The two files are quite different.

My question is, do I need both files and if I do, which should I edit to modify backend startup?
Attachments
mythbackend.service.txt
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
mythtv-backend.service.txt
(377 Bytes) Downloaded 76 times
Last edited by fraserspur on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: mythtv-backend systemd configuration

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,

The Wiki version should really be customized to your liking, never just copied. It's easier
to copy the /lib version to /etc and making the logging change there. Never alter the
one in /lib as the package managers could release a new version that would stomp on
your changes. Don't forget; sudo systemctl daemon-reload when you're done.
fraserspur
Newcomer
Australia

Re: mythtv-backend systemd configuration

Post by fraserspur »

Thanks bill6502, will do.