CEC remote control fails after TV turned off then on again

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wrighch
Junior
United States of America

CEC remote control fails after TV turned off then on again

Post by wrighch »

When I start the MythTV remote frontend on a Raspberry Pi which is connected via HDMI to my LGTV, it connects properly to my backend and to the LGTV to which it is connected. As desired, the LGTV remote control works via MythTV's CEC-HDMI connection to control the MythTV frontend. The Raspberry Pi is up-and-running 24/7, and auto-restarts into the MythTV frontend across power failures. But, if I cycle power on my TV (i.e. turn my TV off and then turn it on again) the CEC connection between the TV and the MythTV frontend is not recovered even though the video portion of the HDMI connection gets properly re-established. After a power cycle on the TV, I can successfully use an iPazz-Port remote control to manage the frontend. But MythTV, which responds as expected to the CEC-connected TV remote control BEFORE I cycle power on the TV, fails to respond to the TV remote even though the frontend video is properly displayed. If I exit and restart the remote frontend, then the CEC connection is re-established as desired, and the TV remote control will control the frontend via CEC as desired.

Can anyone suggest a method for me to get the remote frontend to automatically re-establish its CEC connection with the TV after the TV is powered-on again? ... some kind of a bash script to periodically call some (unknown) mythtv executable to poll or otherwise confirm/re-establish the CEC connection? I'm at a loss.

Thanks for any ideas.

cw
zetoune
Newcomer
Canada

Re: CEC remote control fails after TV turned off then on again

Post by zetoune »

I've just faced this problem too.
I'm interested in finding a solution. I have a IR receiver but it's not as responsive as the CEC commands. I would prefer to not use it.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

I don't have a TV that uses it, so just an idea where to start. Also not a Pi user (strike two.)

There's quite a bit of logging in the CEC code. Even more if -v general:debug is
added when the frontend is started.
goldpizza44
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by goldpizza44 »

Not sure if you made progress, but you probably have the 'cec-client' command on Raspberry PI. Run this command without arguments and it should 'sniff' the traffic between the Raspberry PI and the TV which may give clues to what is going on when you turn on/off the TV.