Using Schedules Direct / JSON to Create Channel List

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

usererror
Junior
United States of America

Using Schedules Direct / JSON to Create Channel List

Post by usererror »

I switched from the 'old method' of schedules direct to the XMLTV with Schedules Direct. I like it because I FINALLY HAVE CHANNEL ICONS that work! :lol: But I have a few challenges...

I have read through this Wiki page for XMLTV. Is there a way for the JSON/XMLTV method to pull only the channels I already have "enabled" in Schedules Direct? See screenshot below for what I mean with enabled channels.

It seems that I have the option to download ALL channels from the Line Up when configuring JSON as shown below, but that then makes the Program Guide way too big and I find myself scrolling a lot. When I get to the step pictured below if I choose "lineup" it grabs all 500 channels I have available. If I choose "channels", then I get to pick from a giant list, that doesn't show me the numbers.

How can I get this list below to show me the numbers so I know which channels to pick the correct channel numbers from my list from schedules direct (as shown above)?

When I ran through this the first time picking channels (HD) by the names, they were the channel numbers in the 1000s range. The previous list I used the old method with SD ranged from 196-999, with only about 95 picked. I assume if all my channel numbers change my existing recording schedules will also break since the channel numbers will not match?
-Mark

MythTV user2007. Dedicated backend - 2x Frontends [rPi2 (Kodi) & PC (MythTV)]
usererror
Junior
United States of America

Re: Using Schedules Direct / JSON to Create Channel List

Post by usererror »

UPDATE: I re-read this section of the XMLTV page about 10 times today. A used the steps to do a dump of all the channels and then set the !'s to ='s for only the channels I want. I figured out the tool tip on the Schedules Direct page will give the channel ID that matches up with the Channel ID's in the All Channels option during XMLTV set up.

However, I have found that some channel IDs on Schedule's direct do not match up with true channel numbers from Comcast. I will have to submit these to Schedules Direct for correction?
-Mark

pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

As you have figured out, the channel selection via the web page is not used for the xmltv method.

Comcast has duplicated its channels so that each channel has a number below 1000 and another number above 1000. I personally only use the numbers below 1000, disabling the others. The manual channel selection via y/no for each channel is particularly tedious and you will likely land up with two copies of channels. I recommend the shortcut as described in the wiki page, editing the xmltv file.

If the channel number in Schedules Direct is wrong (the list.xml file as described in the wiki page) you can open a ticket with Schedules Direct. However be aware of the duplication of channels in numbers over 1000, that is not a bug, that is Comcast trying to be helpful.

I am using the other program (tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite) which lets you enable and disable the channels by channel number, instead of by xmltvid, If the tv_grab_zz_sdjson program only disables by xmltv id and the same id is used for the channel above 1000 as the channel below 1000, you may find it difficult or impossible to disable the channels above 1000.

You can also delete the channels from MythTV to stop seeing them, but you must use the --only-update-guide option when running mythfilldatabase or it will add them back again. Note that if you use this method it will strill be downloading the programs for those channels, but will not be adding them to the database.

The easiest way to delete unwanted channels is with mythweb, settings option.
usererror
Junior
United States of America

Post by usererror »

Thanks for your reply PGBENNETT

How do you suggest I go about getting the CHAN ID to choose the channel number that is under 1000? For example, TBS has 3 channel numbers, but the same CHAN ID for the 2x HD Channel numbers, and a different CHAN ID for non-HD. But the TBS number channel number I need doesn't show up in the list.xml export, which should also have channel number 196.

Code: Select all

<channel id="58515">
    <display-name>TBS HD</display-name>
    <display-name>TBSHD</display-name>
    <display-name>1220</display-name>
    <icon src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/schedulesdirect/assets/stationLogos/s58515_h3_aa.png" height="270" width="360" />
  </channel>

<channel id="11867">
    <display-name>Turner Broadcasting System</display-name>
    <display-name>TBS</display-name>
    <display-name>024</display-name>
    <icon width="360" height="270" src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/schedulesdirect/assets/stationLogos/s11867_h3_aa.png" />
  </channel>  

Here are a few examples of CHAN ID's that have different channel numbers for HD in the web version of Schedules Direct.

Channel # | Chan ID | Channel Name
----------+---------+----------------
1221 | 62420 | Comedy Central
248 | 62420 | Comedy Central
1220 | 58515 | TBS
196 | 58515 | TBS
1307 | 66268 | Hallmark
378 | 66268 | Hallmark

My plan now is since I can't seem to get the correct channel numbers because the channel IDs are incorrect at SD to make a crosswalk with the SD channel, the channel ID and what Comcast has as the official channel numbers which I just pulled from their website under my account's channel list.

I guess in the meantime I can go back to Internal SD listing so I can watch my missing channels.
-Mark

usererror
Junior
United States of America

Post by usererror »

Post the update and resolution -

I opened an incident case with Schedules Direct. After review with them, they determined my correct lineup choice should be a different list since the JSON method was ignoring the channel numbers under 1000 on the original line up I have always used, and channels over 1000 were not correct. After choosing the new line up and going through the channel ID choice process, everything is working great! I am using the channels over 1000 for HD and a few minor channels below 1000 (Public Access type channels). I am definitely thrilled to have channel icons back in the Guide view. Little things like this make MythTV really feel top notch!

The other thing I have noticed since switching to the JSON method for Guide info is that live TV performance has improved? Previously whenever watching channels, specifically news, that had a ticker tape on the bottom the screen the ticker was always jittery. The workaround was to pause live TV for 2-3 seconds then resume. Now there are no jitters! I just don't know how or why these two could be related to Guide download changes?
-Mark

Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

The other thing I have noticed since switching to the JSON method for Guide info is that live TV performance has improved? Previously whenever watching channels, specifically news, that had a ticker tape on the bottom the screen the ticker was always jittery. The workaround was to pause live TV for 2-3 seconds then resume. Now there are no jitters! I just don't know how or why these two could be related to Guide download changes?
I wouldn't have thought there would be, but heh! what do I know. :roll:
Don't forget the Wiki.