Hd Homerun can't get both tuners to work in 0.29

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

KlausWeg
Newcomer
United States of America

Hd Homerun can't get both tuners to work in 0.29

Post by KlausWeg »

I recently decided to resurrect my mythtv setup, which had fallen prey to a disk crash about a year ago. I've install 0.29/fixes onto ubuntu 16.04, but I can't get both tuners on my HDHomeRun to work. I can get either one to work by itself (it's a 2-tuner device), but when I try to install the second one, the system information page in the frontend says "Tuner <X> has an error". At best I've been able to get one working at a time. I've tried installing both tuners in the same mythtv-setup session, and then neither one seems to work. In my previous install (from several years ago, I don't recall what version) they both worked flawlessly. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong or where I should look for more hints?

Thanks.

mythutil --version says:
MythTV Version : v29.0-71-g339b08e
MythTV Branch : fixes/29
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 29.20170212-1
QT Version : 5.5.1
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_opengl_themepainter using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2 using_libmp3lame
Espry0n
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Hd Homerun can't get both tuners to work in 0.29

Post by Espry0n »

KlausWeg wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:43 pm
I recently decided to resurrect my mythtv setup, which had fallen prey to a disk crash about a year ago. I've install 0.29/fixes onto ubuntu 16.04, but I can't get both tuners on my HDHomeRun to work. I can get either one to work by itself (it's a 2-tuner device), but when I try to install the second one, the system information page in the frontend says "Tuner <X> has an error". At best I've been able to get one working at a time. I've tried installing both tuners in the same mythtv-setup session, and then neither one seems to work. In my previous install (from several years ago, I don't recall what version) they both worked flawlessly. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong or where I should look for more hints?

Thanks.

mythutil --version says:
MythTV Version : v29.0-71-g339b08e
QT Version : 5.5.1
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_opengl_themepainter using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2 using_libmp3lame
You could always try uninstalling, purging, and then installing an earlier version if that worked for you.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

I believe there are two ways of entering the tuner information, by the tuner id obtained from the device or by ip address and tuner number (from 0 up). You could try both methods and see which works. They should be set up as tuner 0 and 1 I believe.
gregb49
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by gregb49 »

pgbennett wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:27 pm
I believe there are two ways of entering the tuner information, by the tuner id obtained from the device or by ip address and tuner number (from 0 up). You could try both methods and see which works. They should be set up as tuner 0 and 1 I believe.
This used to be easy to do, but the option seems to have disappeared from the setup page. You only have the option to add "Capture cards"
HDHomeRun Network Tuner
. I now have hdhomerun-0 added twice with no way of changing the second one to hdhomerun-1, so in effect, I can only record 1 channel at a time. Also the tuning is a mess with misidentified stations.
Is there a text file somewhere, where I can amend the capture card to show "0" and "1"?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

The information is stored in the database.

From mythtv-setup->Capture cards->select a card->right arrow
and you'll see the other options.
gregb49
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by gregb49 »

bill6502 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 pm
The information is stored in the database.

From mythtv-setup->Capture cards->select a card->right arrow
and you'll see the other options.
Wonderful, thank you. If only I had thought of clicking the right arrow :oops: I had even changed themes, in the hope of opening up the missing menu. I used

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config
the hdhomerun-config to find out the ids of the tuners, and used those, as suggested on another thread viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2307 where a user had a similar problem.
I now have two tuners running and recording. This all came about because I updated the software, and tried to add a USB tuner to my setup, which only worked for a few days, for some reason. Thus I had ended up reinstalling the HDHomerun on my myth box, whcih had worked away in the attic for many months, completely untouched, and without any problems.
MythTV Version : v29-rc1-4-g696806310a
QT Version : 5.7.1