My cable tv / isp has changed to all channel encryption

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jackrippah
Newcomer
United States of America

My cable tv / isp has changed to all channel encryption

Post by jackrippah » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:10 am

I have been using mythtv for years and love the power it has to make my tv watching super efficient, runs like a clock and easy to use. The devs have produced a superior application; Thank you all for all the work and dedication given so freely.

To my problem: My isp/cable tv provider (Charter) has announced effective Feb 27 2018 my service is going 100% digital. Up to now the locals have been un-encrypted and a few ntsc channels were available. I've been using a pvr-50 and an HDHomerun which covered all my interests. I don't know how to proceed in the new regime. Is there any way to use mythtv in the way I have been using it or am I simply out of luck. It seems to me this must be a common problem but I cant find the beginning of the thread to follow. What I would like to do Is buy only internet service and somehow replicate my happy little world of scheduling a recording as usual from Schedules Direct storing it to disk and watching at my leisure. I have the feeling that I am asking a hideously simple question but I really don't how to start to solve this problem. Is what I want to do possible? Do I have to buy tv service from these guys. I have found an interesting service called "Directtv Now " which sounds like the beginning of a solution but I don't see how I would control and record the channels provided. Is that possible? In any event, If anyone could suggest a direction in which to start I would be very grateful.

Espry0n
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: My cable tv / isp has changed to all channel encryption

Post by Espry0n » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:03 am

Find out if there is digital antenna coverage and possibly go that route? I'm in range of 20 of the basic channels which is more than enough for my needs. For anything I can't watch on antenna, I watch on netflix or hulu.

jackrippah
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by jackrippah » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:11 am

Ya I've been thinking that I would have to add an antenna for the locals which I don't think will be much of a problem. I live on Oahu Hawaii very near the center of Honolulu which should have good signal strength. I haven't used over the air tv since the change over to digital tv but I think that will be ok and I can use mythtv to record the shows I like. What remains is that there are a few basic cable channels that I would like to be able to record for watching at a more convenient time like cnbc, a&e, cnn, msnbc etc. How to get and record those. But you have helped me organize my thinking about the problem. It feels a little more tractable now. Thanks, EspryOn.

yawlhoo
Junior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:39 am

I once helped my sister-in-law to set up a Tivo with Comcast. What was required was a "cable card," which handles the cable signal decryption, and in my understanding also works with a Hdhomerun. So I believe equipped with one or more of these you should also be able to watch and record the channels of interest on the cable as well as the OTA TV.

jackrippah
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by jackrippah » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:52 pm

Right, I've put the cablecard on the back burner because of the expense; the card + the cable subscription + the new hardware I know will be a fairly hard hit but as you point out it is a definitely workable option. I'm hoping to be able to just get by with just a network connection and a subscription to something like 'Directv Now' or some such internet option. But thanks for the reminder.