New mythtv install

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bigflyman64
Newcomer
United States of America

New mythtv install

Post by bigflyman64 »

I installed mythtv 0.29 on Ubuntu 16.04 following the directions on the installation wiki page.

I want to run a simple setup using with the backend and the frontend on the same machine. The instructions at the bottom of the website above seem to indicate that the database is setup along with the mythtv install using the command

$sudo apt-get install mythtv

I try to proceed with mythtv setup, and I get an error that mythtv cannot connect to the database. I assume that there isn't a database setup in mysql.
I searched the net trying to figure out how to do that, but I cannot seem to do anything with mysql because I cannot figure out how to setup a root password. During mythtv installation, I never set a root password. I tried setting a mysql root password with

$mysqladmin -u root password {NEWPASSWORD}

However, I get an error that says

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost''

I a wiki page for database setup , but I didn't see steps for doing so with Ubuntu. I have no experience working with databases, so that doesn't help matters either.

Any help would be appreciated!
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Re: New mythtv install

Post by mythbuntubox »

I don't think running MythTV as root is a very good idea, just in case that is what you are doing.

"MythTV under Ubuntu generates a random database password instead of the common/standard 'mythtv' password. You can find this password by having a look at /etc/mythtv/config.xml on your back end."

trunkmonkey supplied this help on the forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=201

If you really get stuck, I think it is still possible to download Mythbuntu (e.g. 16.04), which used to be the most painless installation option for MythTV on Ubuntu:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/mythbuntu/rel ... 4/release/

HTH