Screen started freezing in liveTV and recordings

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jon Heron
Newcomer
Canada

Screen started freezing in liveTV and recordings

Post by Jon Heron » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:50 am

Hello,
I am running the latest F20_64 (Gnome desktop) RPM 0.27.1 on a brand new intel i7 box.
It had been working great up until a few weeks ago when out of the blue the screen would freeze while watching live TV. The image would freeze except for a vertical bar about 2" high, 6" up from the bottom and down from the top of my 52" flat screen where you could see the video feed was still working, the sound is not affected. This is the same for live TV, recordings, and video files in my video database.
I had stopped using it for the last few weeks due to being too busy to worry about it until tonight when I decided to try to fix it.
My first step was to backup the DB and then remove all traces of mythtv that I could via yum remove and deleting files manually from usr/local/mythtv, etc.. and then I re-installed it all via yum install mythtv.
After re-installing the same issue was happening.
I decided to get a screen shot of what the frozen video looked like for this post when I discovered a quick fix for the frozen video. Hitting the 'print screen' key instantly fixes the frozen video, in fact you cant even catch a shot of the frozen video because it clears before the screenshot happens.. WTF!?
I confirmed that this fixes playback on recordings as well as other videos in the DB too.
For what its worth VLC works great on the same box and the only other thing running on the machine besides an FTP is Zoneminder and it is also working fine for video playback etc...
I am wondering if this is being caused by something other than myth? I am baffled...
If anyone has any idea what could be causing this or how to go about troubleshooting the problem I would be grateful!
Best regards,
Jon Heron

Jon Heron
Newcomer
Canada

Re: Screen started freezing in liveTV and recordings

Post by Jon Heron » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:13 pm

I have since noticed that it happens every time a new program starts as well. Though not while skipping commercials rewinding or fast forwarding.
Very strange.
I wonder what the screenshot is doing to refresh the display window to bring it back...
Is there anyway to log whats happening? The backend log shows nothing out of the ordinary...
Cheers,
Jon

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:40 pm

I may be way out in left field, but this sounds like a monitor refresh rate problem. Can you lower it?
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.

Jon Heron
Newcomer
Canada

Post by Jon Heron » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:51 pm

The refreshrate of the TV? Or myth?
I dont think I can adjust the refresh rate of the TV but I can check it out... This same TV has been working with myth for over 5 years now though...
Cheers,
Jon

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:32 pm

I was thinking of the sysytem refresh rates. The TV being 5 years old may not be able to do it max rate any longer, and the system probably set it to max. Should be something with xconfig that will allow you to change it. It's been a long time since I messed with this, so I don't recall exactly how to do it. And I just changed from an older Mandriva system to the latest Ubuntu system, and I no longer see my /etc/X11/Xorg.conf file anywhere.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, 6 atsc tuners. Frontends-GF8200's,,AMD Athlon II's. Mythtv user since 2005.