Trouble getting BE to start

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chuck837
Newcomer
United States of America

Trouble getting BE to start

Post by chuck837 »

I have reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04 with all updates. Added the PPA for Mythtv 29 and the Wintv-HVR-1265 card in my machine. Running a Dell Optiplex-9010 with a 1TB HD and 4Gb memory. I have set a static IP for the system but have not been able to put it into Mythtv. I have tried several things. It is not connecting to the database for some reason. I have a video link of the BE trying to start that I can share. For some reason I can not share it. It has the terminal showing and hopefully someone will see an issue.
It shouldn't be this hard.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: Trouble getting BE to start

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,

Need a bit more info, and it's likely in the backend log (typically /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log)
You can put the most recent run in a pastebin of your choice and add the link to it here.

Or, this is guesswork, see if this helps. Especially if you're running mythtv-setup as yourself
rather than user mythtv: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Config.xml#Troubleshooting
chuck837
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by chuck837 »

Here is the last 100 lines or so of the log.
Attachments
100 lines or so.txt
(25.83 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
chuck837
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by chuck837 »

Here is a printout of the config xml info.

It is looking like the mythtv@localhost is not set up.
Attachments
config xml printout.txt
(194 Bytes) Downloaded 46 times
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Got to run myself, but try this: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mysql
(the 2nd Q/A.)
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

The problem I have found is that on first run of mythtv-setup it uses a default password for the mythconverg database of 'mythtv', which is not what was setup when mythtv-backend was installed, which sets a random 8 character alpha-numeric in /etc/mythtv/config.xml.

I usually do the following before running mythtv-setup for the first time:
mkdir -p ~/.mythtv
ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv/config.xml

Mike
chuck837
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by chuck837 »

I FINALLY GOT IT!

I got Mythtv 29 working last night. Thanks to steeldriver on the Askubuntu forum and MikeB2013 from the Mythtv forums for some suggestions that pointed me in another direction.

I did set a static IP address for the system. Don’t know if it was needed but it worked.

I had installed Ubuntu and Mythtv so many times, I can do it in my sleep. Part of the problem was that in the deleting of MySQL there were folders and files left behind. I think they may have been interfering with each new installation. So I did a search of the folders and deleted the references to MYSQL and MYTH anywhere I found them using the terminal. I also deleted full folders with references.

Rebooted the computer.

Installed the PPA for Myth 0.29 and installed Mythtv using the terminal. When done I rebooted again. I then went to the config.xml and wrote down the user and goofy password listed in the file. I then started the Myth backend installation. When it was completed, I started entering information. I used the mythtv user listed in the config.xml, password, static IP and the rest of the information needed. I set up the card, scanned for channels and set a storage folder. I then rebooted. When I started the backend, it said it was connected to the master backend. I finished the installation of the frontend and tried to record but still nothing. It then dawned on me that I had set a record folder in my directory but had never given permissions for myth to access the folder. So I changed that and everything started working. I am able to watch TV and record shows now.

Hopefully someone will update the installation and setup instructions. What is out there does not address everything and is several versions and years old.

Chuck837