Live TV Will Not Easily Switch From One Channel To Another In A Different Source

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wend5555
Newcomer
United States of America

Live TV Will Not Easily Switch From One Channel To Another In A Different Source

Post by wend5555 »

I decided to hand make custom Yagi-Uda antennas tuned to specific ATSC channel. It is over kill, but it is a hobby to kill time. Each tuned antenna has a Silicon Dust hdhr4-2us Ethernet tuner. In the mythtv-setup, I created individual "Video sources" for each of the tuned antenna and then assigned the respective tuner to the proper video source. It was a ratio of one tuner to one video source to one ATSC channel.

Recording works fine. However, I have problems with live tv. When I go to live tv and bring up the schedule (key "s"), I can not flip from one channel to another unless the channel I am changing to is in the same "video source" as the channel I am currently on. When changing stations, the screen will black out as a normal channel switch. However, it is the channel you want to leave from that comes back instead of the channel you would want to go to.

Only work around is to bring up the menu, key "m" in live tv, and go to the "Source" and then use "Switch input" or "Switch source" options.

Using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with MythTV version 28.1. I do regular updates using the mythbuntu ppa.

Any ideas? Is this a bug or am I missing a configuration?
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Live TV Will Not Easily Switch From One Channel To Another In A Different Source

Post by pgbennett »

This is fixed in v29. See https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13083 . Solution - upgrade to v29.
wend5555
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Live TV Will Not Easily Switch From One Channel To Another In A Different Source

Post by wend5555 »

Simple enough solution. Will give a try when I get time to upgrade. Thanks for the reference to the ticket.
zetoune
Newcomer
Canada

Post by zetoune »

Sorry to revive a a 2 years-old thread but I'm (almost) facing the same issue.
I've upgraded from 0.28 to 0.30 (Originally upgraded from 0.24 with MythBuntu) and I cannot switch from one video source to another when changing channels.
With 0.28 I could start a channel and loop on every channel from the OSD. Now with 0.30, it only loops on channels of the same video source.
I have to open the "guide" menu (with "S" key) and go to a channel of the other source and select "Watch this channel". But once again, after that, I can loop among all the channels of the current video source but not the previous one.

I though the problem came from my frontend (ubuntu 18.04/ASRock 330) so I tried with a fresh install on a RasperryPI 4 with MythLight but it still happened.

Backend version (ubuntu 18.04):

Code: Select all

MythTV Version : v30.0
MythTV Branch :
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 30.20181231-1
QT Version : 5.9.5
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_opengl_themepainter using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xnvctrl using_xnvctrl_external using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vaapi2 using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2 using_libmp3lame
Frontend version (raspberry Pi, other frontend drive has been formatted)

Code: Select all

MythTV Version : v30.0-60-gb9c1b41a6c
MythTV Branch : fixes/30
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 30.20181231-1
QT Version : 5.11.3
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_openmax using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xnvctrl using_xnvctrl_external using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_openmax using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

The problem in ticket #13083 is, as I understand it, about the following sequence:
- play a channel on one video source
- put up the guide, the program continues in the pip (select M (Playback Menu), select Schedule, select Program Guide)
- select a channel in the guide of another video source with up/down arrow keys
- go to that program with enter key
This is the sequence that does work on today's master.

I have tested the channel up/down on today's master with a configuration consisting of three video sources. Channel up/down with the arrow keys does change to another channel in the same video source but it does NOT change to a program in another video source. I am not really sure if this is a bug or a feature but for me it would be more intuitive if the channel up/down with the arrow keys would follow the ordering of channels as shown in the guide.
zetoune
Newcomer
Canada

Post by zetoune »

Exactly,
The sequence works for me too. That's why I said I almost faced the same issue.
As you described it does not change to another channel in another video source with Channel+/-.
It did work with version 0.28.
My first video source uses channels between 2 and 65, My second video source uses channels from 600 and up.
Before I could go from 65 to 600 without going to Program Guide and choosing channels from the other source.

I hope it's a bug and not a feature, because IMHO that would be a huge regression.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

I think you need "Browse all channels" selected in mythfrontend setup>Video>Playback OSD.
This works for me in current Master (from memory it worked in earlier versions as well).
I also have "Always use browse mode in Live TV" selected, same screen.

Mike
zetoune
Newcomer
Canada

Post by zetoune »

MikeB2013 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:53 am
I think you need "Browse all channels" selected in mythfrontend setup>Video>Playback OSD.
This works for me in current Master (from memory it worked in earlier versions as well).
I also have "Always use browse mode in Live TV" selected, same screen.

Mike
I can't believe I missed that. That was it.
But why I lost the option after upgrading? Anyway, does not matter. It works now ;-)