Transcoding of HEVC recordings to H.264

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BerndS
Newcomer
Germany

Transcoding of HEVC recordings to H.264

Post by BerndS »

Hello,

I have the following question: Is there a way to convert recordings made via German DVB-T2 HD (HEVC or H.265 encoded) to H.264 so that I can view them via Upnp on my Android Tablet Nexus 9? The Nexus 9 Tablet does not support HEVC hardware decoding. Ideally, the transformation should be started via Mythweb.
I've already tried in mythtv-setup to create a conversion profile. But the conversion job ends up in the queue. It seems that nothing happens. So I'm a bit clueless and would be happy if anyone could support me.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Bernd
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Transcoding of HEVC recordings to H.264

Post by pgbennett »

I use HandBrake for that, specifically HandBrakeCLI which is a command line interface. You can install it using apt under Ubuntu, there is also a ppt for later versions than the default Ubuntu repo. (sudo apt install handbrake-cli). You could create an appropriate command line to run as a user job after recordings.
daraden
Senior
United States of America

Post by daraden »

you should be able to use Mythffmpeg. comand would look something like

Code: Select all

mythffmpeg -i input.ts -map 0 -c:a copy -c:v libx264 -preset:v medium -crf:v 18 output.ts
BerndS
Newcomer
Germany

Post by BerndS »

Thanks for the tipps. I made a little progress and created a user job for a bash script that can be run in Mythweb. Both HandBrakeCLI and mythffmpeg work. I'm just fiddling with the filenames but I think I'll cope with that.
But I think I have to rethink my idea. My backend runs well on a small server with an Intel Atom dual core processor. But it is definitely not powerful enough for transcoding. A 10 min recording takes almost an hour to be converted. I think I'll better invest in a new tablet :-)
So my problem is solved.