Which mythtv-setup scan frequencies for UK?

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dswood
Newcomer
Great Britain

Which mythtv-setup scan frequencies for UK?

Post by dswood »

Hi
I have made a mythtv backend out of and Orange Pi. I have 2 usb DVB-T2 sticks plugged in. mythtv-setup does not find any channels when I scan. But I know why. I used dvb-fe-tool to look at the frontend while scanning and the frequencies are not right. I chose europe-west channels. What should I have chosen?

Is there another way populating the database using dvbv5-scan or similar?

Kind regards,

Duncan
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Which mythtv-setup scan frequencies for UK?

Post by MikeB2013 »

Which version of mythtv are you using, the current version is fixes/29 ?
What is your operating system and version ?
What are the DVB-T2 sticks you are using?

In mythtv-setup:
- Europe-west is correct in mythtv-setup for the Channel frequency table in General> Locale Settings.
- Make sure Input Connections>Scan for channels>Scan Type>Full Scan>Country is set to United Kingdom

Check the operating system logs (on Ubuntu/Debian dmesg output is the one to check) for any messages concerning missing firmware.

There is a utility w_scan (install it by doing sudo apt install w-scan) which you can run to see if your DVB-T2 tuners are working (it won't find DVB-T2 channels i.e. HD ones, but it will find DVB-T channels ).

With mythbackend stopped (this is to make sure your DVB-T2 tuners are not being used by mythtv)

w_scan -c GB should pickup one of your tuners starting at adapter /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0

Note w_scan will take 10-15 minutes for a full scan (a lot less if it cannot find anything)

Mike
dswood
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by dswood »

Hi Mike
Thanks for your quick reply. I have installed slackware on it. I built myth29 fixes from a few days ago, so it is up to date. I installed w_scan to check all was working with DVB-T2 and it does. I also installed dvbv5 tools and dvbv5-scan works _much_ better than w_scan. It is quicker and it sees the signal strength, carrier to noise , pre and post viterbii error rates.

Mythtv sees nothing. It sees nothing because it does not pick the right frequencies. For example channel 28 is on 8*28 +306 in Mhz which is 530Mhz. When mythtv tunes to 28 it uses 529.5Mhz. So it does not find any channels.

It does not get the offsets right either (+-167Khz).

I have watched TV on the box using tzap and mplayer. Not got DVB-T2 to work because I can't get the command line right for a of frontend1. It tunes and locks ok though.

Kind regards,

Duncan.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

I have no problems getting mythtv-setup to scan for DVB-T/T2 in UK for both USB and PCIe tuners.

I would still like to know what USB tuners you are using, some can be tricky with mythtv.

Another thing to try in mythtv-setup is to adjust the Signal and Tuning timeouts for the Capture Card.

I have found that the defaults of 1000 for Signal timeout (ms) and 3000 Tuning timeout (ms) can be too low (particularly with USB Tuners and some PCI/PCIe Tuners) and results in no channels being found. I use 7000 for Signal timeout and 10000 for Tuning timeout.

Also in Capture card I uncheck Open DVB card on demand (earlier versions of mythtv defaulted to unchecked)

As before make sure mythbackend is not running before entering mythtv-setup (depending on your configuration, don't know about slackware, you may have hit bug that causes mythbackend not to be stopped by mythtv-setup, see https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13160 )

Mike
dswood
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by dswood »

Hi Mike,
Got it working for both dvb-t and dvb-t2. I re-read your post and saw that I did not select United kingdom. I did not see the menu option. You have to right arrow for it to appear. It does scan channel 69 though which is now a mobile phone frequency. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Duncan.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

Strange, I did a UK scan a few days ago and thought it only went as far as 68.

Steve.
Don't forget the Wiki.