HDHomerun second tuner 0.29 problem

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jfath
Newcomer
United States of America

HDHomerun second tuner 0.29 problem

Post by jfath »

I'm running mythtv backend 29.0+fixes.20170929 from the mythbuntu repo on ubuntu 16.04

Trying to configure an HDHomerun Extend in mythtv-setup. I can add the first tuner without problem using either [deviceID]-0 or [IPaddress]-0. The string is parsed correctly and the setup page shows the correct IP and tuner number 0.

When I try to add the second tuner, using either [deviceID]-1 or [IPaddress]-1, the setup page initially displays the correct IP and tuner number 1. However, when I save the capture card, then re-edit that card, the tuner number has changed to 0 (the IP address is still correct). In MythWeb, only the first encoder is shown or used, I'm guessing that's because there's a conflict with both cards having the same address and tuner number?

I looked in the database to see if there was a tuner number field that I could set manually, but I don't see anything. I think tuner number is being parsed from the device ID - incorrectly in the case of tuner 1.

The same hardware works fine with 0.28, so I think it may be a 0.29 bug, but this is a pretty common setup, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something incorrectly. Anyone else using 0.29 and HDHomerun Connect or Extend?

jfath
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: HDHomerun second tuner 0.29 problem

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,

What theme are you using? I just deleted all tuners and re-entered my 2 HDHRs
with no problem (running on v30-Pre though.) And using Steppes v2.32.
jfath
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by jfath »

Thanks bill6502.

It turns out, the tuner number was displaying incorrectly in mythtv-setup but once I restarted the backend, the tuner was actually working correctly in mythweb. I submitted a report in trac and the small gui glitch will be fixed.

Jerry

EDIT: Trac: #13139
alligator5678
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by alligator5678 »

I'm having the same issues. I upgraded to .29 and everything was fine until I had a need to delete all my tuners and add them back anew. The first one went fine, IP address displayed followed by -0. I added the second tuner and it displayed as the same ip - 0. After that I was only able to watch or record from 1 tuner. I use Kodi for the front end. It responds with "Channel Unavailable" for the second tuner. While watching or recording in Myth I can bring up the HDHomerun View app and watch TV on the other tuner. I'm running on LUbuntu 16.04. I tried adding the .29 PPA but it didn't help.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

The problem with the second tuner displaying -0 and some other setup problems have been fixed in fixes/29 on 11/1/2017 with commit bbc5617. If you have a more recent build than that and are still getting the problem please let me know the details.
alligator5678
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by alligator5678 »

I have the mythbuntu PPA installed. here's the info from apt-cache: 2:29.0+fixes.20171115.61d331c-0ubuntu0mythbuntu4. I don't know if that contains the fix(es) you refer to. How can I find out? If not how do I get the latest version?
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

run mythutil --version on your backend that has the tuner connected. That version you mention should be good, but apt-cache just shows what is available, not what is installed.
alligator5678
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by alligator5678 »

here's what I get -
MythTV Version : v29.0-59-g61d331c
MythTV Branch : fixes/29
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 29.20170212-1
QT Version : 5.5.1
alligator5678
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by alligator5678 »

here are the options -
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_opengl_themepainter using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2 using_libmp3lame
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

That version you are showing does have the HDHomeRun fixes.

Why does your tuner show ip address rather than the id. If you press enter on the selection instead of selecting manually enter you should see a list containing items like
131AA209-0
131AA209-1
131AA209-2
Then you select the first one for the first tuner and the second for the second tuner.

If for some reason the list does not appear you have the option of manually entering the ip address. This should only happen if you have a network issue (eg UPNP not working or the HDHR is on a distant subnet). You can enter the ip address for each tuner, but you must then enter the tuner id as 0 for the first tuner and 1 for the second tuner. If you don't enter the id as 1 for the second tuner it may default to 0 as well and that will not work. Enter the id in the id field not in the ip address field. Are you having a problem entering the id?
alligator5678
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by alligator5678 »

Thank you. The options you presented caused me to rethink how I was setting up MythTV. I was running headless and using VNC to setup Myth. In the CaptureCard setup I was only able to select the type of tuner, in my case HDHomerun. Under VNC I wasn't able to launch the screen that gave the entries I needed to complete. Once I was physically using the MythTV box, display and keyboard I was good to go. From my experience the new MythTV setup utility doesn't work well under VNC, it just doesn't recognize all the remote keystokes / mouse events that it needs and uses when launched locally.

Also, I had to use manual setup and didn't have the option to select and identify the HDHomerun device ID. The only option I had was the IP of the device. This is a new HDHomerun so I gave it a static address and all is well.

Thank you so much for all of your help. My issue is solved.
technik007cz
Newcomer
Czech Republic

Post by technik007cz »

I experience same problem with latest mythtv and updated HDHomerun firmware to latest version. Mythtv-setup adds only first tuner multiple times.
ncp1113
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by ncp1113 »

I am having this problem with v 30 built from source with Debian Buster. On mythtv-setup only one tuner (1018154F) with one IP (192.168...) shows up. On older versions it would show up as two tuners (1018154F-0 and 1018154F-1)
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

@technik007cz/@ncp1113,

Follow the link in the last item here please.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Not ... structions

The developer (not me) has a good description of what was done, in my opinion.

The suffixes are no longer used with the pooling design. It's not a problem, it's design intent.
ncp1113
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by ncp1113 »

Thanks for the link. Originally, I thought it might be a new design but I have been having trouble connecting. It must be another problem. I am noting for anyone coming across this thread that you have to set up both tuners if you want 2 tuners, even though they look the same. From the link inside the link you gave me https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/57a0ad8
Note that multiple MythTV inputs must still be configured in order to
use multiple HDHomeRun tuners simultaneously. For example, if an
HDHomerun Quatro has 4 tuners, 4 MythTV inputs should be configured.
If two HDHomeRun Primes have 6 tuners total (3 + 3), 6 MythTV inputs
should be configured.