Hauppauge HDPVR ioctl errors with V4L2

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

somsn
Newcomer
United States of America

Hauppauge HDPVR ioctl errors with V4L2

Post by somsn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Hey folks, I have a Hauppauge HDPVR at /dev/video0. The firmware is up to date and my kernel and drivers are too.

I have verified that the device works and can transmit video with cat /dev/video0 > test.ts. However, anything involving V4L2, including ffmpeg, spit out an error:

Code: Select all

[video4linux2,v4l2 @ 0x7f338c000920] The device does not support the streaming I/O method.
/dev/video0: Function not implemented
HOWEVER, 'ffplay file:/dev/video0' works. Only that command. 'ffplay -i /dev/video0' does not.

jimcor101
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Hauppauge HDPVR ioctl errors with V4L2

Post by jimcor101 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:30 am

I think I am having the very sample problem here. Upgraded to 29 and am running the latest kernel (Fedora 26).

cat /dev/video0 > test.ts works absolutely fine with my HDPVR. But when I try to watch LiveTV or record a show, I get a timeout error. (my timeout is currently set to 50000).

I tried 'ffplay file:/dev/video0' and it worked briefly but then locked up my server.... never tried this before so not sure if it worked previously.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated as my mythtv box is just a playback machine right now... recording is completely broken.

Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 am

Not sure if this will help, but under https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR it says
If you get "Select Timeout" errors, these can sometimes be overcome by stopping the backend, removing the hdpvr module, cycling the power on the HD-PVR, modprobe-ing the hdpvr module, and restarting the backend.
Steve

jimcor101
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by jimcor101 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:25 am

Steve,

Thanks... I have a shell script that does exactly that and have been using it regularly to properly reset the HDPVR. I've gone through those steps multiple time and no success. Saw that an update to FFMPEG was posted today and installed it. Still no change in behavior.... mythtv refuses to record even though the HDPVR is working fine when trying to cat /dev/video0. I have been running myth for years and years (first with a PVR-250 and now an HDPVR) and have never had this magnitude of issue getting recording to work. I am really stumped and leaning towards pulling out my old PVR-250 card and trying that to confirm the myth set up is working.

Jim