0.27 to 0.28 update oddities

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

0.27 to 0.28 update oddities

Post by mythbuntubox » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:01 pm

I have just upgraded 0.27 to 0.28 on Mythbuntu 14.04 in order to retain metadata lookups ahead of support for the old script for this being switch off at the end of the month, which I thankfully saw was the case here.

I was surprised to see that you cannot just play music from a CD using MythMusic anymore without creating a storage group for it first and setting the backend up to then use this (2x in my case, and then it inexplicably just worked the second time around). It still complains that it cannot write to MusicArt (which exists and has all the necessary rights in place for the Mythtv user) though, which is fine though, as I only ever use MythMusic to listen to CDs, which works fine again for the time being. Quite a lot of effort for just playing a CD though, with the menu item for which now also being buried even deeper in the menu options, but at least it can still be done.

First thing I need further help with is that Mythfrontend exits when I play a recorded radio programme which, if relevant, was recorded with Interactive TV switched on. Under 0.27, details of what was playing and the station logo of the BBC station were displayed. Strangely, the recorded programme continues playing when the frontend exits, and you just see the Xfce desktop, so you cannot stop playback, etc. I have tried to see what happens when using "Watch this Channel" from the Programme Guide and that works fine. However, I have the same problem when playing new recordings of this type. Any ideas on that one?

I may add to the list if I discover more things that don't quite work as expected. Hope that's ok.

Thanks for any help or workarounds in advance.

Updates:

Looks like I will have to stream the recorded radio programmes involved using Mythweb and VLC as the stream player on the same box as a workaround for the time being. At least it plays the files that way, and I can use play controls, adjust the volume, etc. again.

Another odd thing that happened was that the logo icons for streaming radio stations (Internet streaming that is) no longer worked for most stations after the change to 0.28. One, for which the logo was stored on the actual machine, just like the other stations, continued to work, but not the others which needed to be set up from scratch and pointed to an online logo URL before they worked again. Seems very odd. I guess it's a wobbly upgrade for some reason. Could it be database probs? I saw a related problem could be corrected by clearing certain cache files, but that made no difference in my case.

mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Re: 0.27 to 0.28 update oddities

Post by mythbuntubox » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm starting to wonder if the radio recording playback problem has anything to do with MythTV playback now apparently starting at the scheduled starting time, rather than the beginning of the file. Maybe the fact that these recordings usually take a while to fill the buffer before they start to play, e.g. when using Watch This Channel for live TV playback, an immediate jump to a specific later time point in the recording causes the frontend to go bye bye when playback of a recorded radio programme of this type starts?