Channel Editor not updating ICON column in Channel SQL Table

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

usererror
Junior
United States of America

Channel Editor not updating ICON column in Channel SQL Table

Post by usererror »

When I use the "Download Channel Icons" option in the Channel Editor, the icons are downloading to /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/ successfully, but the "Icons" field that should have the path to the icons is not populating via the Channel Editor. I've tried to manually edit a few ICONS columns via MySQL, and the icons still are not showing up. If I manually edit the path via the Channel editor, the update is reflected in the database, but the icons don't show still in the Program Guide. I just see the generic channel icon.

I had most icons working previously, I could go back to a DB backup and look at how the path was on those, but I haven't had a chance to yet.

Thanks in advance!
-Mark

MythTV user2007. Dedicated backend - 2x Frontends [rPi2 (Kodi) & PC (MythTV)]
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Channel Editor not updating ICON column in Channel SQL T

Post by pgbennett »

It is possible that you are downloading the icons under a different user id or different machine from where the backend is looking for them? It may be putting them in a different .mythtv directory from the one the backend uses. The database just needs the file names of the icons, not path info and will find them in the local .mythtv/channels directory. It may also be possible to create a storage group for them, but I am not sure of that.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Peter's right about creating a Storage Group (I did it years ago) but
it isn't necessary. The backend will automatically use the path above
(~mythtv/.mythtv/channels .)

See this for help: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_ico ... l_Location
especially the <backend>:6544/Guide/GetChannelIcon?ChanId=<chanid> test.
usererror
Junior
United States of America

Post by usererror »

If I use this URL - http://192.168.13.10:6544/Guide/GetChan ... hanId=1193 I do see the channel icon for my test subject (animal planet)!

I think I have narrowed my problem down to the fact that the channel editor is not updating the channel icon field in the SQL Table. I have to manually edit the channel as shown below.

Manually updated the icon field on test channel:

http://www.tarq.us/tmp/icon02.png

Manually updating the icon field on test channel does work update the SQL Table:

http://www.tarq.us/tmp/icon01.png

Why would the channel editor not update the field? Is it because of the channel editor / download bug?
-Mark

pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

It is not that download bug. With that bug, no icon is downloaded at all, but I believe you do have the icon files.

Di you use schedules direct? If you use the json option of schedules direct for your guide data, it provides complete icons for all your channels and it just works. I don't know where you are located, but in the USA these are almost perfect, very few channels are missing their icons.
usererror
Junior
United States of America

Post by usererror »

Yes, I do have icon files, however, I am noticing that the new files it is downloading are black squares with white text that say "AMC HD Icon". So I'm using images from a backup.

I do have Schedules Direct. But I am not familiar with JSON or an option to use it to download icons. That sounds like a much better option! Would you point me in the right direction on the Wiki for setting that up? (if it is documented?)

Thank you!
-Mark

pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Instructions are here
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Sched ... rect_Setup
I am using the grabber tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite - I can confirm that if you download the channel list into mythfilldatabase you will get the icons with it.
usererror
Junior
United States of America

Post by usererror »

Well, I tried to set up the XMLTV feeds for Schedules Direct last night and it was an epic failure. I installed the deb package and selected the new option via MythTV Setup but I could not get the rest of the configuration to work based on the Wiki page.

I reverted back to normal schedules direct setup and have manually fixed my icon issue with an SQL query to populate the missing icon value in the database. So, for now, I have icons. I will test out the new JSON method in a virtual machine until I get it right. Wife doesn't like it when she can't watch TV in the evening. :lol:
-Mark

pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

I am going to update that page for the case of changing from DD to JSON. It is not something I would attempt in an evening. If there are specific problems you found that should be covered in the wiki, please let me know.
usererror
Junior
United States of America

Post by usererror »

Thank you! I will attempt again this weekend, if not sooner.
-Mark

usererror
Junior
United States of America

Re: Channel Editor not updating ICON column in Channel SQL Table

Post by usererror »

I am now getting around to setting up a mythtv backend in a virtual machine to test out the channel icon set up. Are there any screenshots/documents for setting up with .29?
-Mark