No Tv.. ?

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tmcca
Junior
United States of America

No Tv.. ?

Post by tmcca »

when I run mythfrontend nothing happens. However when I type I stop the mythtv-backend service and type in mythbackend in terminal I am able to watch tv. I am on Ubuntu and I am guessing the startup service something is wrong.

I am confused.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: No Tv.. ?

Post by bill6502 »

First thought when the backend runs as one user and not as another is
that config.xml files are different. When you start the service as root, the
service changes the user to mythtv (at least that's the preferred way.)
When you start it from the command line, your user is running the backend
and really, you shouldn't do this. See this for help:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Config.xml#Troubleshooting
tmcca
Junior
United States of America

Post by tmcca »

Got ya; is there a better documentation to install Mythtv with Ubuntu? It seems Ubuntu doesn't add user, etc to database in pre-built package. Is it better to perhaps build it from source?
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

If you have installed mythtv from Ubuntu repositories it will be out of date as the versions are old and rarely updated e.g. Ubuntu 16.04 version is from April 2016, Ubuntu 17.04 version is from February 2017, both of which are way out of date.

The mythtv team have a PPA (Personal Package Archive) which takes care of this so you are always up to date, see Install PPA at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu

So for mythtv 0.28 in a terminal do the following:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

I always reboot the machine at this point just to ensure a clean state.

As far setting up mythtv user, the packages (both in Ubuntu repositories and the PPA) do this, but it is vital to logout (or reboot) when advised when running mythtv-setup for the first time.

The main issue I come across is the mythtv database password in config.xml (which is in two places /etc/mythtv/ and ~mythtv/.mythtv/ and these are usually sym linked together, but the sym lnk has been known to get broken) which may also be needed in mythtv-setup General screen (if it cannot get to the database). Note you also need to set the "Security PIN (required)" in that screen, set it to 0000 for most uses, do not leave it blank.

The other thing is that mythtv-backend must always be stopped before going into mythtv-setup (strange things happen if it is still running). I use the following in a terminal to check if mythbackend is running:

ps -A | grep my

And then if it is running

sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend.service

followed by

mythtv-setup

and finally to restart it

sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend.service

I would not recommend building from source unless you really need it, but it can be done (I do all the time) see https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source
I actually install from a PPA to start with as it sets up user, database systemd scripts etc and then do the build from source tweaking startup paths as necessary.

Mike