Bad data in channel table

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

williamatwood
Junior
Canada

Bad data in channel table

Post by williamatwood »

I have mythtv running on Ubuntu 16.04, and can receive certain channels. The inability to receive the others puzzled me until I looked at the contents of the mysql database, Here is the output of a retrieval for selected columns of the "channel" table:

Code: Select all

mysql> select chanid, channum, freqid, callsign, name, xmltvid, atsc_major_chan, atsc_minor_chan from channel;
+--------+---------+--------+----------+------------------+---------+-----------------+-----------------+
| chanid | channum | freqid | callsign | name             | xmltvid | atsc_major_chan | atsc_minor_chan |
+--------+---------+--------+----------+------------------+---------+-----------------+-----------------+
|   1000 | 12_1    | NULL   | CFCF-DT  | CFCFDT           | 65995   |               0 |               0 |
|   1151 | 15_1    | 15     | CKMI-HD  | CKMI-HD          | 73014   |              15 |               1 |
|   1152 | 15_2    | 15     | CKMI-SD  | CKMI-SD          | 74980   |              15 |               2 |
|   1021 | 2_1     | 19     | CBFT-DT  | MONTREAL CBFT-DT | 45867   |               2 |               1 |
|   1061 | 6_1     | 21     | CBMT-DT  | MONTREAL CBMT-DT | 53502   |               6 |               1 |
|   1171 | 17_1    | 26     | CIVM-HD  | CIVM-HD          | 63040   |              17 |               1 |
|   1172 | 29_1    | NULL   | CFTU-DT  | Canal Savoir     | 74875   |               0 |               0 |
|   1173 | 47_1    | NULL   | CFHD-DT  | CFHDDT           | 87652   |               0 |               0 |
|   1174 | 35_1    | NULL   | CFJP-DT  | CFJPDT           | 58688   |               0 |               0 |
|   1175 | 10_1    | NULL   | CFTM-DT  | CFTMDT Montreal  | 72755   |               0 |               0 |
|   1176 | 62_1    | NULL   | CJNT-DT  | CJNTDT           | 72895   |               0 |               0 |
|   1177 | 8_1     | NULL   | CJOH-TV8 | CJOHTV8          | 16405   |               0 |               0 |
|   1178 | 57_1    | NULL   | WCFE-DT  | WCFEDT           | 44368   |               0 |               0 |
|   1179 | 57_2    | NULL   | WCFE-DT2 | WCFEDT2          | 54298   |               0 |               0 |
|   1180 | 57_3    | NULL   | WCFE-DT3 | WCFEDT3          | 58927   |               0 |               0 |
15 rows in set (0.00 sec)
Most of the entries in the "callsign" and "name" columns were entered by hand, through the mythtv setup interface. However, I clearly need to fix
1) the chanid
2) the freqid
3) the atsc_major_chan
4) the atsc_minor_chan
for many of the channels.

I believe that I saw a posting on how to do this in the past, but I cannot locate it now.

Can someone help me to get these data corrected?
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Bad data in channel table

Post by MikeB2013 »

Whilst it is possible, via sql, to change entries in the channel table, there is also associated data in dtv_multiplex table, linked via mplexid in channel table. I would not recommended using sql for this.
There is some information :
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Dtv_multiplex_table
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_table

The real issue is why mythtv-setup channel scan is not populating all the channels.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Instead of using sql, you can use the channel list in mythweb to change most fields of the channel table.
williamatwood
Junior
Canada

Post by williamatwood »

OK, I have seen a lot of chatter on this forum about mythweb.
When I do a search for "mythweb" in the forum search box, I get the following page:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythweb

Which has, under the heading "Installation", the following text:

For a general installation guide see MythTV-HOWTO, otherwise see the distribution specific pages.

However, when I follow the link to the MythTV-HOWTO, I find only general instructions on installing MythTV, with no mention of mythweb.

Would some kind person please point me to instructions on how to install/activate mythweb? Preferably for a Ubuntu environment.
williamatwood
Junior
Canada

Post by williamatwood »

MikeB2013 wrote: The real issue is why mythtv-setup channel scan is not populating all the channels.
OK, I may have part of the answer to that. The initial channel scan was done with the "indoor" antenna that came with the Hauppauge capture device. I am now connected to an outdoor antenna that is able to receive even more channels than the ones in my SchedulesDirect lineup.

Right now, I have 15 channels in the SchedulesDirect lineup. These are the ones listed in the initial post for this topic. Of these, only 5 (2.1, 6.1, 15.1, 15.2, 17.1) could be received on the indoor antenna. These 5 are the ones with complete information. The other 10 have correct call signs and station names (which were entered by hand), but the rest of the information is either missing or wrong.

Connected to the outdoor antenna, I can receive 11 additional channels (beyond the 15):
3.1 WCAX
3.2 Movies
3.3 Ion
5.1 WPTE-HD
5.2 The CW
5.3 Me TV
33.1 VPBS
33.2 VPBS+
33.3 VKIDS
44.1 WFFF-DT
22.1 WVNY-DT

So, I see two things that need to be done.
1) Obtain additional channels in the SchedulesDirect lineup for my postal code.
2) Re-do the channel scan while connected to the outdoor antenna.

What order should I do this in? Do I fix the lineup first, and then re-do the scan, or the other way around (or does it matter)?

Any advice will be very much appreciated!
williamatwood
Junior
Canada

Post by williamatwood »

One additional clarification. When I say, "Connected to the outdoor antenna, I can receive 11 additional channels (beyond the 15):", this is with my TV set, not with MythTV. My goal is to get MythTV able to receive all of the available channels.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

williamatwood wrote: Would some kind person please point me to instructions on how to install/activate mythweb? Preferably for a Ubuntu environment.
If you are using the Ubuntu packages for mythtv you can install mythweb this way

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mythweb
If you are building MythTV yourself or you want to install mythweb manually, instructions are here
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_ ... ll_MythWeb
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

williamatwood wrote:
MikeB2013 wrote: So, I see two things that need to be done.
1) Obtain additional channels in the SchedulesDirect lineup for my postal code.
2) Re-do the channel scan while connected to the outdoor antenna.

What order should I do this in? Do I fix the lineup first, and then re-do the scan, or the other way around (or does it matter)?

Any advice will be very much appreciated!
I would recommend do the channel scan first. Then you can see which channels you got and add them to the schedules direct list. Then you need to update the channels to include the xmltvid, and finally run mythfilldatabase.