No video new build on same computer as old build

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

petee
Junior
United States of America

No video new build on same computer as old build

Post by petee »

I have not had any issue in many years.

Decided to build from scratch via MythBuntu ISO and an Ubuntu 16.04 ISO on an Intel Core Duo PC with 4Gb of RAM (MythTV V.28)

This is using an OTA HDHomerun device (same one for years).

Finds all of the channels fine but does not display them locally or remotely except if I utilize the HD Homerun GUI set up with VLC.

Remotely I do not see any live TV via MythTV front end or KODI.

Everything appears to be configured correctly. HDHomerun is using latest firmeware (from 2016).

I see this stuff on the back end logs.

May 31 09:23:09 ICS-MythTV mythbackend: mythbackend[1896]: I thread_unknown signalhandling.cpp:194 (SetHand$
May 31 09:23:09 ICS-MythTV mythbackend: mythbackend[1896]: I thread_unknown signalhandling.cpp:194 (SetHand$
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: No video new build on same computer as old build

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,

The above are just informational messages, and normal output. A full log
may help someone spot something. Or, basic stuff: are the channels marked
visible? May as well post the frontend log too.
petee
Junior
United States of America

Post by petee »

Thank you Bill.

The channel scan shows some 51 channels as when it was working before. (have an antenna in the attic and most if not all channels are between 90-100% signal strength.

Motherboard is a BCM MX45GM2 (have 6 of these running 24/7) and lately updating now to Haswell chipset home servers. (iSeries).
bcm.jpg
bcm.jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 612 times
After the first MythBuntu build tried a regular Ubuntu desktop build and adding MythTV to it with same results. Wiped it and went back to the Mythbuntu build.

I have mythTV front end installed on the server and when I go to TV watching it doesn't. I have the box currently connected to a shared VGA monitor via KVM (not using the DVI or HDMI output on the mythTV box).

Mostly utilize Kodi MythTV plugin these days for live TV streaming. Kodi shows the channels but there is a message that video is not available. Kodi is running on multiple Aopen Digital engines with core duo's Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit. (Gb to Gb via managed switches)

Over the years have gone from an analog tuner to the HDHomerun tuners. Had a couple of Hard drive failures and rebuilt form scratch. They always worked fine.

Will post logs of frontend running.
petee
Junior
United States of America

Post by petee »

Noticed a couple of other issues with the MythBuntu build relating to the mySQL DB stuff. By default it looks to be creating the MySQL DB with other than default MythTV DB passwords where I had to change passwords here to default for MythTV to even start. I have created this build now 3 times from scratch and each time to get it to run had to make changes in the mySQL DB stuff.

My last running MythBuntu build started as a Ubuntu 14.04 working build and updated to Ubuntu 16.04 and it continued to work fine.

Today going to try again with the old Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit build just to see it works without touching base configuration stuff. It is so easy these days writing the ISO to a USB stick.
petee
Junior
United States of America

Post by petee »

Looked at the error log running MythTV front end and saw Android font errors (huh?). That said here while I do utilize android tablets do not watch TV using any Android OS (smart TV's are in off mode). Really do not like android, never have. That is me. (IE: have modded Android OS's on my cell phone and tablets)

OK so downloaded last 14.04 Mythbuntu ISO.

Noticed that boot up was much faster.

1 - first changed DHCP to static IP (same one as before). IE: note here have close to 100 networked devices (mostly tinker toys lately).
2 - disabled MythTV front end from loading first via MythTV command center
3 - configured back end using defaults (both tuners on HDHomerun boxes). IE: have two but only configured one for now.
4 - Saved back end stuff (everything including OTA scan was much faster) and it found same 51 channels as before
5 - tested HDHomerun GUI and as before saw same OTA channels.
6 - Ran MythTV front end setup. All I did here was change theme.
7 - Everything is working right out of the box (no mySQL errors and OTA TV tuning and viewing is fine).

Next steps are to upgrade and install Webmin here. Originally had done the upgrade to 16.04 but may leave this alone. I have upgraded Zoneminder and automation servers here to 16.04 and these are doing fine. (using iSeries PCs with 16 Gb of RAM). Arm stuff Jessie is much slower than Wheezy so here purchased an ARM box (Pine64 2Gb of ram) running Ubuntu 16.04 server which does OK but still is not as fast as Ubuntu 14.04 was.

Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-31-generic x86_64)
* Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/
234 packages can be updated.
162 updates are security updates.
New release '16.04.2 LTS' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.
Last login: Thu Jun 1 07:52:10 2017 from 192.168.244.233
pete@ICS-MythTV:~$

Apologies for my complaining about MythTV not working. It works fine and is plug n play with the last 14.04 version. Maybe the 16.04 version is made for iSeries computers? I dunno. I just know that 14.04 installed twice as fast as 16.04 and worked out of the box without touch DB.

Maybe it's me?

I have been running with Linux for a long time and current shutting down old windows servers and just making them VM's a la carte on as as needed base.

BTW switched laptops over to Ubuntu and test running KODI with MythTV streaming on current laptop it worked fine with Kodi 17.3.

Relating to the Aopen PCs running KODI I did have issues upgrading to Kodi 17 when first introduced. It did not work on my Ubuntu mini pcs (had video issues) I had already updated to Ubuntu 16.04 on these boxes. Rather than upgrade Kodi 16 to Kodi 17.3 redid these mini PCs to Ubuntu 16.04 then added KODI 17.3 and it worked fine.

Note here only watch MythTV on Kodi boxes (only Ubuntu) on multiple LCD TVs. (tablets and cell phones are off when at home - that is me).

Updated the 234 packages mentioned above. Rebooted and all if fine.