SOLVED: Cannot get DVB-C tuner working

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

s-andy
Newcomer
Ukraine

Post by s-andy »

I'm having troubles configuring Geniatech T230 in MythTV:

The tuner is detected by the system (I'm using LinuxTV's media_build) and works fine in Kaffeine.

In MythTV, I added it using the type:
  • DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or ISDB-T tuner card
Its properties are detected as:
  • Frontend ID: Silicon Labs Si2168
  • Subtype: DVB-T2
Certainly, I also added the video source and linked them together. But, channels scan does not work:
  • I can't find my country (Ukraine) in the list of supported countries.
  • I can't specify S/R 6900 and DVB-C modulation for transport as the corresponding screen just does not have appropriate fields or values.
In Google, some people suggested importing channels, so I tried that as well: dvb-apps' scan successfully detects 145 channels, but, it appeared, there is no way to import them in MythTV 0.28! The only option "Import existing scans" shows "Scan to Import" drop-down and I can't put my channels list there. Looks like, this feature (import of channels) were removed from MythTV?

So, how can I use my working DVB-C capable Geniatech T230 with MythTV 0.28?

I have a theory, that these issues happen because the tuner's subtype is detected as DVB-T2. Probably, MythTV just does not know, that it can work with DVB-C?

Please help.
Andriy
Last edited by s-andy on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s-andy
Newcomer
Ukraine

Re: Cannot get DVB-C tuner working

Post by s-andy »

Now, I'm quite sure, that this is because MythTV believes, the tuner supports only DVB-T2.

How does MythTV determines the type of the tuner? Can it be corrected somehow?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

Switching delivery systems is currently not supported.

Is this you as well? Ticket #13014
s-andy
Newcomer
Ukraine

Post by s-andy »

paulh wrote:Switching delivery systems is currently not supported.

Is this you as well? Ticket #13014
Exactly! The workaround suggested in the ticket helped. Thank you very much, Paul!
Miwer
Newcomer
Denmark

Re: SOLVED: Cannot get DVB-C tuner working

Post by Miwer »

Sorry to revive this old thread, but this problem seem to have popped up again with MythTV 30.0 Release.

Microcheese did an update on the mentioned ticket:
"Starting with the 30.0 Release there appeared a new issue with DVB Cards and multiple Protocols on one Frontend. Till 0.29 it worked fine with the dvb-fe-tool command before starting mythbackend - now this is not longer working."

I'm also having this problem after upgrading to 30.0, but since I'm using the Ubuntu PPA binaries, I can't use the workaround patch in that ticket.
I have no choice but to downgrade to 29.0 to get my tuner working again, until a proper fix is found for this.
I hope that a fix can make it in a release soon, because this is a serious break. Sadly, release 30 is useless with this tuner in the current state.

Best regards,
Miwer
Doppel-D
Junior
Germany

Post by Doppel-D »

Why didn't I read here before ;- ) I was attracted by the impressive amount of solved bugs from 29.1 -> 30.0. As described, switching not working anymore and also can't use the patch workaround. Never touch a running system....hit me again ;- )

Can someone be so kind and update the bug report here or create a new one? Thanks in advance!

Contact me for additional logs or testing fixes!

Solved in v31