Pulse audio not working with mythfrontend 0.28

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

e88z4
Newcomer
Canada

Pulse audio not working with mythfrontend 0.28

Post by e88z4 »

I'm looking for any suggest to troubleshoot the pulseaudio sound problem for my desktop. The system setup is the following:

mythtv-frontend 0.28 installed on Debian.
pulseaudio 9.0-5

When I playback video recording, there is no sound if I use pulseaudio as my setup. The error is below:

Code: Select all

PulseAudio: WriteAudio, short write, 0 of 2822
PulseAudio: WriteAudio, stream write failed: PA_ERR_INVALID
The error keeps repeating itself until the playback is terminated.

The sound works if I use ALSA driver. I have a very similar setup of mythtv-frontend connecting to the same backend on my laptop using pulseaudio. The sound works without any issue.

Does anybody have suggestion?
BigKuma
Junior
United States of America

Re: Pulse audio not working with mythfrontend 0.28

Post by BigKuma »

I saw the same issue. Actually, before letting Ubuntu upgrade in the last couple of weeks, I was using PulseAudio just fine.
Then, after the upgrade, I tried to play a recording with the FE. It was playing as if fast forwarding, and the log was scrolling with the PusliseAudio: WriteAudio messages. No sound was actually coming out. I switched to ALSA and it was fine.

The reason I was trying Pulse Audio, is because I was having audio drop out problems described in the other topic. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

The upgrade took me from Kernel 4.4.0-63 to 4.4.0-65. I had to reinstall NVidia drivers and all.
Last edited by BigKuma on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Ubuntu 16.04+OOM bug fix
-Myth v0.28 (2/11/2017)
-HDHomeRun Prime
-C2Duo 3.3Ghz/8G RAM/500GB/NVidia GT720
-4k TV HDMI
e88z4
Newcomer
Canada

Re: Pulse audio not working with mythfrontend 0.28

Post by e88z4 »

I use kernel 4.9.11. I assumed you used the previous LTE 4.4.65.

My experience is exactly the same as you. It is playing the recording as it is fast forwarding and no audio coming out.

The reason that I want to use pulse audio because I have pulse audio loopback module loaded occasionally. While this module is enabled, ALSA can't get control of the sound device (no audio) because it is used by the sound server.