Mythtv 0.28 failing to record

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

srochford
Newcomer
Great Britain

Mythtv 0.28 failing to record

Post by srochford »

I've been running MythTV successfully for many years but recently I've had many failed recordings.

When this happens, the only way to get it to record again seems to be to reboot the machine; just restarting the Mythbackend service doesn't fix it (I've also tried restarting MySQL at the same time).

When it happens an error like this is logged in mythbackend.log at the time it should be recording:
mythbackend[8839]: C CoreContext programinfo.cpp:351 (ProgramInfo) ProgramInfo(): Failed to find recorded entry for 0.

and at the end of the program's scheduled slot it logs this:
mythbackend[8839]: I CoreContext scheduler.cpp:725 (UpdateRecStatus) Updating status for "program name" on cardid 6 (Failing => Recorder Failed)

This is MythTV Version : v0.28-107-g5a7b3c8 running on Ubuntu 16.04.1 with kernel 4.4.0-59 and it's kept patched up to date.

I did think that perhaps it was running out of some resource so I scheduled a daily reboot but that's made no difference.

Any ideas where I can look?

Steve
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Mythtv 0.28 failing to record

Post by paulh »

What tuners are you using?
Kwisher
Junior
United States of America

Post by Kwisher »

I would suggest adding the MythBuntu PPA to get the newest patches to MythTV.
srochford
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by srochford »

Thanks both.

It's a Hauppauge WinTV-Duet-HD-Stick and I do have the Mythbuntu PPA installed.
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Post by dizygotheca »

mythbackend[8839]: I CoreContext scheduler.cpp:725 (UpdateRecStatus) Updating status for "program name" on cardid 6 (Failing => Recorder Failed)
The tuner died for some reason. Updating Myth can't fix that.

LinuxTV claims it is similar to the TD-Nova sticks, which have a reputation for locking up when both tuners are scanning EIT. So limit active EIT to 1 tuner, if you use it. (mythtv-setup)

When a USB tuner fails it needs to be reset. Restarting software won't do that. Often a reboot won't even do it because USB ports tend to be always powered. Unplugging the stick for a few secs will reset it. Then re-insert it and restart the backend. In dmesg check for

Code: Select all

found a '...' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
rather than "warm state"