Problems with new Australian channels

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tvdave
Junior
Australia

Problems with new Australian channels

Post by tvdave »

I am having problems with new Australian TV channels - they won't play on Watch TV and don't show the program guide. This is a cross-post from the Mac forum - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1371
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Problems with new Australian channels

Post by pvr4me »

tvdave wrote:I am having problems with new Australian TV channels - they won't play on Watch TV and don't show the program guide. This is a cross-post from the Mac forum - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1371
I don't think your issue is Mac-specific, so I'm answering here. The following is from your posting in the Mac section:
tvdave wrote:I am running the MacPorts version of MythTV 27.4 which has been working well until they introduced some new channels in Melbourne Australia. These channels are 13- TenHD, 76 - 7Flix and channel 33 (Food Network). For some reason these channels will not play on MythTV watch TV although it is possible to record 76. The OTA TV guide does not work for Channel 13 or Channel 33 so it is not possible to set recordings. I am able to receive MPEG-4 encoded channels such as Channel 78 (racing). Technical details for the multiplexes can be found here - http://goughlui.com/2016/03/02/freeview ... of-ten-hd/ and here - http://goughlui.com/2016/02/28/freeview ... -of-7flix/.

I am using a very old (first gen) HD HomeRun. I am not sure if this is the problem (unlikely because some of the MPEG-4 channels work), a but with the OTA TV guide or something strange with the multiplexes.

What are the next steps in diagnosing the problem?
MPEG4 is not 'new' at this point. In general, Myth can play anything that FFMPEG can handle and that has included MPEG4 for a long time. I looked at the first link you provided but it seemed, at best, semi-relevant and I didn't read the whole thing.

I'm a bit confused about the exact problem you face. You are not getting guide information (EIT) for 13 or 33, but you do for 76? My understanding was that most people in Australia use Shepherd or some other service for guide data. Is there some reason you're not doing that?

Did you use mythtv-setup to rescan for these channels?

Perhaps the best approach might be to back up your database, delete all tuners and set them up again. If you run into problems, you can restore the database and carry on as before.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
tvdave
Junior
Australia

Re: Problems with new Australian channels

Post by tvdave »

Further diagnostics - I upgraded the firmware on the old HDHomeRun and the EPG now shows for the new channels. There are definitely problems with the Australian FTA EPG but now it is only affecting the Food Network channel so no loss. It might be time for a new HDHomeRun as well as move to Shepard EPG.