Encrypted channels not showing

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dcallebaut
Junior
Belgium

Encrypted channels not showing

Post by dcallebaut »

Hi,

I have succesfully setup Mythtv (using mythbuntu 14.0.2) and using a kodi (v16) frontend. I've configured my tuner in the config of Mythtv and all free OTA channels are perfectly receivable including the EPG.
However when want to view an ecrypted channel the backend just states (in the logs) that the channel is encrypted and does not show in the forntend. It is as if the decryption is not working. Although I have a CI+CAM I that used to work on another receiver so the CAM and CI are ok. As tuner I use the Digital Devices Cine-S2 with a Flex CI add-on card.

The logs of the backend can be found here: http://pastebin.com/3hcVpLpM

Any help or tips where to look for a solution would be very much appreciated.
dcallebaut
Junior
Belgium

Re: Encrypted channels not showing

Post by dcallebaut »

Just to be clear: I'm not referring to anything illegal (softCAM) or anything of the sort. I'm using an official CAM and official, enabled, CI.

Anybody has any idea where I would be able to find more info/debug.. anything that can help?

The strange thing is not the driver nor mythtv logs an error. Mythtv only states "channel encrypted" and that's it... so it seems I may be overlooking something here :-)
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

To be honest I don't know if using a CAM is currently working or not. It's also possible the newer CI+CAM needs additional support in MythTV that we don't currently have.

I would try starting the backend with '-v dvbcam,channel,record' command line option to see if it throws any light on the problem.
dcallebaut
Junior
Belgium

Post by dcallebaut »

Thanks for the tip, Paulh.

I've tried that and discovered something awkward.

When I start my backend system the Mythbackend start as normal (see muthbackend.log at http://pastebin.com/wmFVEUr5 )
But when I afterwards do a killall mythbackend followed by mythbackend -v dvbcam,channel,record I get errors that the tuners cannot be accessed and listening IP already in use (see http://pastebin.com/XwQRTHbf

So I guess the

Code: Select all

Killall mythbackend
does not stop all services. Is there another step(s) I need to take to stop the backend properly?
dcallebaut
Junior
Belgium

Post by dcallebaut »

PS: the CAM and CI I have is using SECA3 encryption used by CanalDigital in France, Canal+ in the Netherlands and TV Vlaanderen in Belgium. It's not really a very recent and new CAM type I think.
dcallebaut
Junior
Belgium

Post by dcallebaut »

Please disregard my post about the tuner error, etc. I found out that

Code: Select all

stop myth-backend
properly closes the backend ;-)
dcallebaut
Junior
Belgium

Post by dcallebaut »

Hi Paulh,

I've tried your suggestion but does not reveal much more "error" than before I fear.

I've uploaded my attempt to http://pastebin.com/3NJ8FSda

Could I ask you, as expert, to have a look?

I've actually first tried 2 different encrypted channels [failed], then an Free OTA [success], and than another encrypted one [failed again].

Thanks beforehand for your help!
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

I don't seen any messages from DVBCam saying something like "CI handler successfully initialized!" so I don't think it's getting that far.

In mythtv-setup where you setup the card there is a recording options button, try increasing the timeouts there.
dcallebaut
Junior
Belgium

Post by dcallebaut »

Thanks, Paul. I will give it a try. I also contacted the manufacturer of the tuner for their advice.

I will keep you posted on their reply as well and the results of the attempts :-)
dcallebaut
Junior
Belgium

Post by dcallebaut »

Hi Paul,

Increasing the time-out for the tuners in the recording options did not change anything. Even with values above 1000ms there is no difference.
I'm also still waiting on feedback from the manufacturer.

Any other option/idea I can try?

cheers
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

That's a pity :(

Looking at the log I thought the signal monitor was perhaps giving up looking for a lock to early but now I look again it is getting a signal lock but for some reason gives up later on.

I don't think we are ever trying to start the DVBCam thread because the "CI handler successfully initialized!" message is missing. Why that is I don't know. It's difficult for me to debug the problem since I don't know that code at all and don't have a cam to test with.

I'll asked on the developers IRC channel if anyone knows if the cam support is supposed to be working. Hopefully someone who knows the code better that me can help.
dcallebaut
Junior
Belgium

[SOLVED] Encrypted channels not showing

Post by dcallebaut »

Hi Paul,

With a bit of delay but bringing good news.

After contacting several times the support desk of Digital Devices (DD) I finally found out that I needed to do some manual configuration the the DD DVB Kernel module and setup a "redirect" through their bridge driver in order to assign an CI slot to the tuners of the card.

Why this, in my opinion critical, information is nowhere to be found in the documentation accompanying the hardware, nor is to to be found in the support or knowledge base of the manufacturer is a huge error in support of this hardware on linux.

The (very helpful) support desk pointed me to this page: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/D ... #Adding_CI which started to put me in the right direction for a solution to the problem, although the setup as described is not entirely the same as mine.

So once I had the kernel module option enabled and the rights redirects in place the encrypted channels started to show without any hiccups.

I'm still testing and will remain doing for the coming few days/weeks but I think we can safely state that this hardware could be candidate for the "works with Myth TV" list :-)

I'll post an update once I ended the testing period.

Thanks again for all the help!
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

Glad you got it working :)

The reports I got was saying it should work OK but it does have a few rough edges with some setups.