mythtv-setup just closes

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pinnerite
Senior
Great Britain

mythtv-setup just closes

Post by pinnerite »

This is a new (home-build) running Mint 21.3 with MythTV installed.
I can only get into MySQL as administrator.
I successfully ran mc.sql.
I then restored from a backup:
sudo /mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database --directory /media/alan/data/mythtv/DB_Backups --filename mythconverg-1376-20240214105610.sql.gz
That seemed to complete OK.
Running mythtv-setup from the terminal just returned to the prompt. So does mythbackend. The mythtv-setup.log is attached

Three columns from the mysql table look like this:
mysql> select host, user, authentication_string from user;

Code: Select all

+---------------+------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| host          | user             | authentication_string                                                  |
+---------------+------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| 192.168.1.100 | mythtv           | *CC8F35F587CA5A556B4132C2407E556D92172FFC                              |
| localhost     | debian-sys-maint | $A$005$#d(iKoK&c]oSIa6aI`H|u5n1a7NVga2t4i13dDIrj03HCBYerUE1JOrsBLC4MB4 |
| localhost     | mysql.infoschema | $A$005$THISISACOMBINATIONOFINVALIDSALTANDPASSWORDTHATMUSTNEVERBRBEUSED |
| localhost     | mysql.session    | $A$005$THISISACOMBINATIONOFINVALIDSALTANDPASSWORDTHATMUSTNEVERBRBEUSED |
| localhost     | mysql.sys        | $A$005$THISISACOMBINATIONOFINVALIDSALTANDPASSWORDTHATMUSTNEVERBRBEUSED |
| localhost     | root             |                                                                        |
The only fault that I could identify was the time zone issue. I could not solve that because I need the mysql password and i didn't create one.
Is there anything else that I can provide to help find a solution?
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: mythtv-setup just closes

Post by pgbennett »

Did you create the timezone tables?

You don't need a root password for mysql, you can use sudo.

mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | sudo mysql -u root mysql
pinnerite
Senior
Great Britain

Post by pinnerite »

Sadly that produces a second issue:
mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | sudo mysql -u root mysql
[sudo] password for alan:
Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab' as time zone. Skipping it.
Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/leap-seconds.list' as time zone. Skipping it.
Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/leapseconds' as time zone. Skipping it.
Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/tzdata.zi' as time zone. Skipping it.
Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab' as time zone. Skipping it.
Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone1970.tab' as time zone. Skipping it.
Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/zonenow.tab' as time zone. Skipping it.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

That is fine, ignore it. It skips a few invalid ones while it loads the time zones.
pinnerite
Senior
Great Britain

Post by pinnerite »

Which brings me back to my main question:

Running mythtv-setup from the terminal just returned to the prompt. So does mythbackend.

There are several lines in the log like:
2024-02-25 21:58:27.017493 E MainServer: ERROR when trying to delete file: myth://192.168.1.4/10233_20220122133256.ts. File doesn't exist.

myth://192.168.1.4 was where the recordings were stored originally.

mythconverg_restore.pl restored them to 192.168.1.100 (the new machine). How do I convey that to mythtv?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Does the new host (.100) have the same hostname as the old? If not, you can make sure the
old host is off-line (or has a different name) and then use this to restore the hostname on
the .100 host:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Ba ... or_backend
pinnerite
Senior
Great Britain

Post by pinnerite »

I ran the script and it seemed happy but it didn't resolve any of the remaining issues.

1) I cannot get mythtv-setup to open up. It starts and flashes on and off.
2) "Live TV" shows a black window overlaid with "Please Wait" before going back to the menu.
3) "Watch Recordings" shows the listings but they are inaccessible. The do not appear to be where MythTV expects to find them because their location on the previous machine was /home/mythtv/Default. They are now on /media/alan/data/mythtv/Default on the new machine.
All the storage directories are under /media/alan/data/mythtv
Dai_Trying
Junior
Great Britain

Post by Dai_Trying »

Have you checked if your config.xml files are the same, I have had occasion where there was a wrong password in one that caused me some problems, although as this is a fresh build it is probably less likely but maybe a remnant somewhere from restoring something of your old system?

If you have locate installed you can get a list of config.xml files with the following command (after running "sudo updatedb")

locate config.xml
Which on my be/fe server provides results in

/etc/mythtv
/home/<user>/
/home/mythtv/
/root/mythtv/

and quite a few in /usr/share/mythtv/ although I haven't checked those ones as I'm not sure they are used directly (could be wrong on that, not sure)

But if any of them show different hosts/users/passwords it might cause issues.
pinnerite
Senior
Great Britain

Post by pinnerite »

I followed your suggestion, not expecting to have missed something.
I had.
One of the config.xml's had a localhostname statement that was empty. I know that i had set one for the Master Backend, so I re-entered it and saved the file.

Now i can get into mythtv-setup provided that I attempt to do so twice(?)
I re-ran every entry including a full scan but still have two issues:

"Live-TV" still just returns to the menu; and
"Watch recordings" still just shows the titles but they are inaccessible.

Hoever there are several entries in the frontend log like:
Feb 27 14:40:39 lakeland mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[9775]: E PlaybackBoxHelper playbackboxhelper.cpp:91 (CheckAvailability) PlaybackBoxHelper: CHECK_AVAILABILITY 'myth://lakeland/10060_20240227123900.ts' file not found.

Which is correct. So why is it looking?
Presumably a mismatch between the contents of the directory and what mythconverg holds.
Can this be cleaned up?

I am more concerned at not being able to watch live TV.
Dai_Trying
Junior
Great Britain

Post by Dai_Trying »

It's good you can now get into mythtv-setup, you didn't state but did you get any errors when trying to exit... From what you said earlier about changing data locations I would expect it to say that you have bad locations saved and ask if you want to correct this or continue?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

If LocalHostName is missing, empty or contains my-unique-identifier-goes-here
then the box's hostname will be used. It's really a "profile ID" used to access
settings, capture cards... in the DB. It usually shouldn't be changed. If the hostname
on the .100 box is the same as the old one, that's good.

On *buntu and the like, ~/.mythtv/config.xml and ~mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml are
symbolic links to /etc/mythtv/config.xml. You really should have one file. I've seen
cases where the links get broken and get replaced by file (sounds like your case.)
ls -ld ~/.mythtv/config.xml ~mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml /etc/mythtv/config.xml
will show you what you're running with.

I'd run: mythtv-setup.real --logpath /tmp --quiet . The log will be in /tmp with an obvious
name. Copy/paste that to a world readable pastebin (e.g. pastebin.com) and put a link to
it here. Maybe others can spot something. [Just wait 'til a prompt comes back, the terminal
session won't display anything.]
pinnerite
Senior
Great Britain

Post by pinnerite »

I ran mythtv-setup.real --logpath /tmp --quiet
pastebin didn't recognise my password and drove me mad rejecting my captcha insertions.
I eventualy uplpaded to dropbox. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/j89ili44 ... c71l9&dl=0
Along the way I found my mythtv folder and contents all had user and group set to alan:alan.
I chowned them to mythtv:mythtv.

You mentioned error messages on exit from setup. They told me that the group directories didn't exist by showed all the paths with a final "/".
I removed all those slashes and the messages ceased.

ls -ld ~/.mythtv/config.xml ~mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml /etc/mythtv/config.xml
returned:

rw-rw---- 1 mythtv mythtv 454 Feb 17 13:22 /etc/mythtv/config.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 alan alan 575 Feb 27 12:55 /home/alan/.mythtv/config.xml
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Feb 11 20:40 /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml -> /etc/mythtv/config.xml

Selecting "Live TV" still puts up "Please wait" but for longer than earlier It still just returns to the menu.
Attempts to record all end with the menu listing showing the details with a white "X" over a grey disc if completed or wit a white "!" on a red disc if still recording next to each title.
Dai_Trying
Junior
Great Britain

Post by Dai_Trying »

One thing I did notice from your log is that you are running mythtv-setup version 32 which looks like it hasn't been updated from March 2022, I couldn't say for sure but this could be another area that needs addressing
log wrote:mythtv-setup version: fixes/32 [v32.0+fixes.20220325.f69ce764b7-0ubuntu1] www.mythtv.org
I am only saying this because if I were setting up a fresh install I would prefer to have a current version to give the system longevity, obviously you are free to choose whichever version you want to use but again I thought it worth mentioning.
pinnerite
Senior
Great Britain

Post by pinnerite »

I am using the version from the Linux Mint repo.
This is Mint version 23.1, the latest release.
Dai_Trying
Junior
Great Britain

Post by Dai_Trying »

Seems strange to me that they would use such an old version of mythtv, but I guess they must have their reasons. I doubt I can add anything further on this as I don't use (or have available for testing) this version as I recently updated all my machines to v34...