MythTV freezes with finnish YLE programs

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tike64
Junior
Finland

Re: MythTV freezes with finnish YLE programs

Post by tike64 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:06 pm

Ok, thanks, I'll try to learn to build from sources.

Can I do something to help to harden MythTV against YLE?

--

Timo

paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:03 pm

Try disabling Interactive TV
TV-Settings->Playback Onscreen Display. Uncheck Enable Interactive TV button.

kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 pm

On a completely different track, you could try starting each record one minute early or one minute late. In the case of one (or more) minutes early the mythtv playback code will get its initial stream info from the last part of the previous program. In the case of one minute late the mythtv playback code will get its initial stream info from the actual stream and not from the inter-program pieces. The pieces from between the programs is where the bad packets are and that causes, on my system, the frame rate to be wrong initially.

About your question
If only I knew a handy way to repair the old faulty recordings...
If you remove the first 10 or 20 MB of each recording they will probably play OK. This is roughly equivalent to starting the recording one minute later.

tike64
Junior
Finland

Post by tike64 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Try disabling Interactive TV
Very interesting. It was unchecked so I decided to check it and see what happens. Then I started over and over the problem recordings maybe 20 times and couldn't replicate the problem. Then I again unchecked the button and was able to replicate the problem on second restart of the recording.

This could be by chance, though, as the problem is highly nondeterministic.
one minute early or one minute late
Thanks, might try late starting. I think early starting might not help because live TV also freezes at the program change occasionally.

--

Timo

tike64
Junior
Finland

Post by tike64 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:05 pm

I tested the interactive TV a little more:

I unchecked 'Enable Interactive TV' and restarted MythTV 10 times. Each time I replayed one of the problem recording over and over until it freezed. That happened often on first try but at the latest on fourth try.

I checked 'Enable Interactive TV' and restarted MythTV 5 times and each time replayed the same recording over and over ten times, in total 50 times. No freeze.

I unchecked 'Enable Interactive TV', restarted MythTV and played the recording. It freezed on a second try.

Finally I checked 'Enable Interactive TV', restarted MythTV and played the recording 10 times. No freeze.

Could it be that the setting is accidentally inverted or is it that MythTV is confused when Interactive TV is disabled while there is MHEG data in the stream?

--

Timo

kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 pm

Interesting!
Probably the MHEG functionality is not used that much so everything is possible. As far as I know MHEG is stored in DSM-CC tables and these are not present in your streams so the option should not have any effect.
I did experiment a bit but on my system disabling the "Enable Interactive TV" did not have any effect on playing your two test streams.

However, I can check if the logic is accidentally reversed.

So checking the "Enable Interactive TV" option does solve your problem?

kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:48 pm

Logic is correct on my side. I get some mheg messages only when "Enable Interactive TV" and "Enable Network Access for Interactive TV" are selected.
Can you please make logs of mythfrontend with the options "-v channel,playback,siparser,mheg,dsmcc" ?
One with the "Enable..." options selected and one with the "Enable..." options not selected.

tike64
Junior
Finland

Post by tike64 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Can you please make logs...
Please find attached. 'unchecked' log ends at freeze.
So checking the "Enable Interactive TV" option does solve your problem?
Yes, looks good so far.

The backend setting to record only TV data (or something like that) seems to help too. I tested recent recordings and didn't suffer any freeze even with 'Interactive TV' unchecked. Not too many recordings to test yet though.

Thank you all!

--

Timo
Attachments
mythtv-interactive-unchecked-log.txt
(95.71 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
mythtv-interactive-checked-log.txt
(101.11 KiB) Downloaded 1 time