Surround Sound Channel Mixup 0.29

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

btrent98
Newcomer
United States of America

Surround Sound Channel Mixup 0.29

Post by btrent98 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 pm

I'm trying to get 5.1 surround sound to work on an Ubuntu 18.04 install of MythTV 0.29 using (from the output of "aplay -l"):

iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
HDA ATI SB, ALC887-VD Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

and it almost works. Using mythtv's speaker-test utility I get front, center, and LFE channels but both surround speaker channels play through the front speakers rather than the surround speakers. It's watchable/listenable but it's not right. This box is running both the front-end and back-end of MythTV.

I tried alsa's speaker test outside of MythTV and got similar results, except no LFE in addition to the surround channel mixup. (I ran "speaker-test -diec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0 -c6")

The sound device is a RealTek ALC887-VD on an ASUS M5A78L-M mobo.

I see that the surround sound instructions on the MythTV Wiki (Configuring Digital Sound) are listed as outdated past MythTV 0.23, although I have poked around there some.

I'm actually pretty sure this was working when I first updated my old install with this fresh one, but I think perhaps an update somewhere in the past month or 2 broke it? I have another 18.04/0.29 setup on a remote front-end box for which the surround works fine but that is not the same hardware setup.

Anyone have suggestions on how to proceed with trouble-shooting for this problem?