SendMessage and SendNotification

PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

SendMessage and SendNotification

Post by PhilB »

Both https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_Service and https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_Service describe SendMessage and SendNotification.
I believe that the Frontend page describes them correctly (FrontedendIP:6547 works on my system but not BackendIP:6544) but before I jump in with heavy boots and edit a developer's page to add a warning of an error is there some subtlety that I'm missing?

And what does a notification do that a message doesn't?

Phil
?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: SendMessage and SendNotification

Post by bill6502 »

It would help to know what version of MythTV you're running. I know with 0.28-pre,
the following works: curl --data Message=Hello yourFrontend:6547/Frontend/SendMessage
APIs that change something must (should) be POSTs, not GETs (which is what's
used if you were testing from a browser.) I don't know if that fix was backported to
earlier versions.
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

It's a combined FE/BE. Frontend says version is fixes/0.27(v0.27.4-14-gec06dfb).
Regards
Phil
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

curl --data Message=Hello --data Address=192.168.1.200 mc0:6544/Myth/SendNotification
works for me too, where mc0 is my backend and the IP address is a frontend I've got running.

To answer your earlier question, SendNotification is much more powerful, with graphics and
a progress bar. I looked at the 0.27 source and it doesn't require the POST, so you can test
these from a browser (or the command line.)
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

Thanks for coming to my rescue again. Think I have it now.
Phil