New iOS-app for managing MythTV

Announcements about 3rd Party Clients
fransgl
Junior
Netherlands

Re: New iOS-app for managing MythTV

Post by fransgl »

Hi Craig, good to hear that heavy testing is in progress! I appreciate that. You gave me some food for thought. A few opening remarks:
  • I agree that switching EPG-channels using the picker-control is a bit clumsy. I actually never use that myself. Instead I use the left and right buttons in the bottom corners. Have you tried those? I suppose I haven't made it too obvious that these < and > are buttons..
  • If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the EPG, it will load the next day and allow you to scroll on. And then you should be able to see all data you have in your database. Please give that a try.
  • When switching channels using the < and > buttons, your initial view will be positioned so that the currently airing program is in the middle and marked by the yellow-ish background. And the programs it shows will always start from the current date onwards. This means that there will be past programs listed, back to the last midnight, so always less than one day of history. That said, there is bug that I yet need to solve: the date that is used for positioning the view is actually the date the app was last started. I mean really started, not backgrounded and foregrounded again. So if you started the app yesterday and open it again today, then the listings shown will start one or more days ago. That is unintended and I need to fix that.
  • Search and/or filter functionality is high on my list of ToDo-items. So that is coming up. I need to think about how it should work functionally and then how to implement that. This will take a little time. Streaming of recordings is also on the list, below Search. I appreciate you sharing you experience with this! This is also something I plan to figure out.
Best regards, Frans
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Doh! I should have recognized the < and > buttons. Still, even though I have only about 20 channels that I receive over-the-air, I think there must be a better interface. Somebody that gets hundreds of cable channels would be pretty frustrated.

I do not get additional guide guide when I pull up at the bottom of the listings. Right now, it is 13:10 and none of the channels seem to list anything past a start time of 17:00. Also, after I checked a few channels, the app crashed.

BTW, use of the 24 hour time format is very uncommon here in North America. I believe your app can query iOS to find out the preferred time format.
When switching channels using the < and > buttons, your initial view will be positioned so that the currently airing program is in the middle and marked by the yellow-ish background. And the programs it shows will always start from the current date onwards. This means that there will be past programs listed, back to the last midnight, so always less than one day of history.
That is not working for me. I see programs starting from about 16:30 to 17:30 yesterday at the top of the list. It always seems to position at these old listings when I use the > and < controls. The currently-airing program (with yellow background) is about 2 screen down for me.

Again, perhaps some of this is because I'm using a 0.28 backend?

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
fransgl
Junior
Netherlands

Post by fransgl »

Hi, no worries. I have a new version on its way to TestFlight that adds searching the EPG. Across all days and channels. And from the search results you can tap to see the details, set recordings, etc. It's still a first implementation, needs some testing and tweaking but the basis is there.
Oh, and I changed the look of the Previous and Next buttons in the EPG. :-) See screenshots.

Next on my list is addressing the date and time formatting and (related, I suppose) the issue you are facing with positioning of the currently showing program. So I will have a close look at timezones, Language & Region settings on the device and so on. I'm pretty sure this is not caused by your backend.
Bear with me though, I need to attend some other stuff first. But I will get back to you in a couple of days.
Attachments
IMG_1507.jpg
IMG_1507.jpg (78.47 KiB) Viewed 41762 times
IMG_1506.jpg
IMG_1506.jpg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 41762 times
fransgl
Junior
Netherlands

Post by fransgl »

A new version of the app has been submitted for review to Apple. This version features many improvements to date/time/timezone. It will likely take a day or two before it is available in the AppStore. The improvements should be significant for those not living In The Netherlands. Its version number is 2.5.
fransgl
Junior
Netherlands

Post by fransgl »

OK, its live in the AppStore now. I hope (and expect) that the version works better. I'm a user myself and I find specifically the EPG-search very handy. It searched the whole EPG, across all dates and channels. And allows you to record from there.

Please let me know about your experiences with this.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Thanks for the update--the Program Guide tab is now working very well for me. Good job!

Craig
fransgl
Junior
Netherlands

Post by fransgl »

That is good to hear, thanks!

New functionality is coming up, however I have been pretty busy lately.

As always, if anyone has suggestions for new or improved functions in the app let me know. And if you use the app and like it, I would appreciate if you could leave a review/rating on the AppStore.

Frans
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Hey Frans:

I would find it handy to have a way to display only movies. Especially with a filter for 'show only movies with a rating of 7 out of 10 or higher'. I'd like to be able to scan for upcoming movies that are worth recording.

Small thing, but can you display Season and Episode information when available? Maybe some of the other metadata like original airdate, etc?

Craig
mikavir
Newcomer
Finland

Post by mikavir »

Hi,

I just stumbled across this. The software looked very promising, and I installed it onto my iPhone 8 iOS 13.3.1. The app launched initially fine, complaining not finding the server. I went and put the correct ip of my mythbackend/frontend in the settings, but now the app crashes at launch. It never shows even the screen I saw before :| I tried rebooting my phone, but it did not help.

Oh, in your posts I read it was made for v29, my backend is v30, is the app incompatible with the newest MythTV version?

What is the future of this nice app?

Best regards,

mikavir
fransgl
Junior
Netherlands

Post by fransgl »

Hi Mikavir, I am using it with my v29 backend, running in a Docker container. For starters, you could check the settings of the app on your phone. You'll find them on the overall settings page of your device. Check if the backend ip-address is correct (and reachable) as well as the port. Also, please ensure you have backend pin set at '0000' (see earlier posts).
I am using the app on a daily basis. It has not received a lot of attention lately, as I have not had much time. I do plan an update in the not-too-distant-future. At that time I will take v30 (and hopefully v31 if that comes out) compatibility in scope.
Please let me know if reviewing/correcting settings works for you.
Best regards, Frans
mikavir
Newcomer
Finland

Post by mikavir »

Oh, sorry fransgl for the delay...

My FE/BE has always had the same static ip, and I'm accessing it through ssh even right now. I checked the pin, it's four zeros and I even restarted the system. On my phone, I've checked the settings several time and even rebooted the phone, also tried reinstalling the App. Nothing changes the situation, the app crashes on startup with the exception when reinstalling. With wrong ip in settings, I get the initial 'No connection' screen.

Unfortunately, I will be too busy for at least a week from now, so I cannot be debugging this in the near future.

Thanks anyway, and best regards, mikavir
fransgl
Junior
Netherlands

Post by fransgl »

Hi mikavir, it took a while, but I have updated the app in the AppStore. It fixes an issue with setting recordings, but more importantly for you, fixed an issue with first startup and connecting as well. You could try and take it for a spin.
Good luck and best regards, Frans
hawks
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by hawks »

Just installed on my phone. Works great! Thanks for making this.
fransgl
Junior
Netherlands

Post by fransgl »

Ah, happy to hear that. Thanks for the feedback! :-)
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Have you given any thought to making an Apple TV app?

Craig