Christmas themes now available for MythTV 30 and 31

Announcements for MythTV

Moderator: Forum Moderators

paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Christmas themes now available for MythTV 30 and 31

Post by paulh »

Yes it's that time of year again and back by popular demand are the two MythTV Christmas themes MythCenterXMAS and MythCenterXMASKIDS.

Both will be available in the theme browser from later today for MythTV 29, 30, 31 and master.

For those new to MythTV and not familiar with those themes they are based on the popular MythCenter theme but with a Christmas colour scheme with festive backgrounds and a few animated GIF's to add a little sparkle :P. The backgrounds in MythCenterXMAS shows a random slide show of festive snowy images and has an animated snow effect in the foreground. MythCenterXMASKIDS also has the background slide show but the images are chosen to appeal to our younger users.

Merry Christmas from the MythTV Developers :D

MythCenterXMAS-wide

MythCenterXMASKIDS-wide
Last edited by paulh on Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add preview images
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

5 new background images added to the MythCenterXMAS theme including one curiosity :-)

Post by paulh »

I've just added 5 more background images to the XMAS theme including one I couldn't resist adding! My parents got a box canvas that lights up from the inside with a snowy image of what I guess is an English village scene on it. There are some cottages, a church, a river & bridge with some people skating, sledging and walking about. My first reaction was that's a nice image then when you look closely there is a WTF are those animals doing there moment (not something I associate with an English village or even Christmas). Let's see if anyone spots what I'm talking about :lol:

I should say it's some cheap Chinese tat so the image quality is not brilliant to start with and I took a photo of it with my phone so the resulting image is not great, I did try to enhance it the best I can. I think it's good enough and should stimulate some interesting conversations over the Christmas holidays ;)

It will show up in the theme chooser as version 1.12 when the next theme sync takes place at 4.00am UTC.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Christmas themes now available for MythTV 30 and 31

Post by paulh »

Did no one notice the polar bears in one of the backgrounds :?:

You don't see many of them wandering down the high street here :lol:

I've done a little research on the painting. The artist is actually an American called Dennis Lewan born in 1948 from Thorp, Wisconsin. The painting is called Polar Bear Junction. I really like his style of painting he has done many lovely Christmassy paintings but only one with polar bears as far as I can see.

paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

For 2021 I've added another approximately 30 background images to the MythCenterXMAS theme making a total of 75 images which will be available for fixes/31 and master.

David also supplied a patch to add support for the new sports extender available in master.

I've also updated master with better random image support which will make sure all images are shown randomly before a repeat image is shown. I'll leave it a few days and if there is no objection backport it to fixes/31.

May I wish all MythTV users a Merry Christmas and a healthy Happy New Year 2022. :D
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

Thanks Paul, look forward to updating and trying it out. :D
Don't forget the Wiki.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

Don't forget your MythTV Christmas themes. :lol:

And a merry Christmas :D and happy new year to all our readers.
Don't forget the Wiki.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

It's a bit late now but there wasn't any significant changes made to the Christmas themes this year. The only thing that some users may have noticed is the new animated snow using OpenGL which should look a lot smoother compared to the old animated image one.