barebones hardware w/ HDHomerun + HDMI TV

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hrocks
Newcomer
United States of America

barebones hardware w/ HDHomerun + HDMI TV

Post by hrocks »

I would like to use the PC as a combined backend/frontend device which uses my existing Silicon Dust HDHomerun dual tuner and an HD TV with HDMI. I may use this 'PVR' as a general-purpose PC as well but not for gaming or intensive CPU stuff. So, my hoped-for requirements are 1)low noise, 2)low power, and of course 3)not too expensive. I usually don't accumulate more than 10 hours of HD before viewing and eraseing. Would a SSD be a good choice then?
stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Re: barebones hardware w/ HDHomerun + HDMI TV

Post by stuarta »

Look at the Intel NUC series then. They take mSATA SSDs, with an 'H' variant that can also take a laptop drive. Very low power, very low noise. Depending on your budget they can be expensive tho
hrocks
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by hrocks »

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at Intel NUC. They are small. Size is not a concern to me though.
I would rather not pay extra just for size. I've been checking newegg and amazon
for the November "black Friday" kinds of promos. They have great promos on notebooks, which,
it seems, put notebook prices on almost par for a desktop and monitor of similar performance.
I'm not in a big hurry. Maybe a NUC will show up in a black Friday promo?
bemt
Newcomer
Denmark

Post by bemt »

Hi
I've just installed MuthBunto on a 4-5 year old HP Compaq dc7900 (pentium dual core).
I got it for free!
It draws only 31 Watt (measured) at idle.

If I should buy new(er) hardware, I would consider an Intel Atom dual core. (Lower power consumtion)

Best regards
Bent Erik
Denmark