Mythtv front end hardware?

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jimls
Junior
United States of America

Mythtv front end hardware?

Post by jimls »

I am upgrading my hardware and planning to separate the FE and BE. Currently have FE and BE on Athlon II X2 255. I do OTA and a bit of on line movies on this machine. It works ok but starting things could be faster. Some of that is likely due to disk speed - it's a traditional HDD.

For the new backend I have an i5 with 16G of ram. Again a HDD. Should I add a SSD? If so, what all should I put on it and what to keep on the HDD. Also running zoneminder with 3 cams on this box and perhaps asterisk.

Plan to use the Athlon box as a front end.

Looking to add another front end and that's the main reason for the post. Was thinking of using a Pi but have an i3 M380 laptop that is gathering dust. Replaced it since it is kind of slow - actually very slow despite reinstalling Win7. Thinking this would make a better FE than Pi4 but want to confirm that. Would install Xubuntu 20.04 and Mythtv 31 (latest prod release).

Looking for feedback on all this. TIA.
mtbdrew
Senior
United States of America

Re: Mythtv front end hardware?

Post by mtbdrew »

SDD will be your most noticeable improvement for response times. I recommend them for the boot drives for sure. You can keep the HDD for recording and movie storage only.
If you are thinking about the Raspberry platform at all, then stay away from v31 as the playback profiles are now limited. V30 would be my recommendation personally for ease of setup for schedulers in the backend and for rock solid movie playback.
I have been playing around with Ubuntu Bungie 20.04 and find it to be a very quick gnome setup.