time for a new backend / daily driver

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

time for a new backend / daily driver

Post by Linuxgrrl »

After 12 years, I need a new living room PC. The current one serves as a Mythtv backend, music jukebox, photo storage, and my personal computer for web browsing and email. The machine has been awesome but there are a growing list of gremlins like unreliable bootups, disks that unmount themselves, etc. (I changed the MOBO battery and tested the power supply and did other troubleshooting to no avail).

I have a full-size ATX Lian Li case that I plan to re-use. Other than that, I hardly know where to begin on designing a new one. I don't need anything lightning speed and I don't want to pointlessly overspend. My main interest is reliability and future-proof longevity, and I'm willing to spend more for that aspect. My current MOBO has an extra layer of copper (Gigabyte Ultra Durable) and I'm tickled that I was able to keep it going for 12 years.

Interested in your thoughts on:
1. What type of processor? I've been happy with AMD -- if I stick with that, what model makes sense for these uses?

2. I have a nVIDIA GeForce 9400GT PCI card. Should I just re-use it, or will that hold me back? I sometimes may use this PC as a myth frontend.

3. Is there any reason not to replace the SCSI drives with SSD drives. The mythtv and photo content are on a separate drive from the / partition. Again assuming I don't want to pointlessly spend money, is the answer the same as to all drives? Or is it OK to mix and match?

4. Are there any other bells or whistles that would be useful for a mythtv box, that ideally will last for years?

Thanks for any advice.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: time for a new backend / daily driver

Post by wesnewell »

I recently upgraded my main backend server and one frontend only machine. I went with am4 atx mobo for the server and an am4 matx for the frontend machine. For cpu's am4 2200G and 3200G,s with built in graphics. You must go with nvme main drives for speed. NVME drives are a lot faster than sata SSD and they plug right into the MB. All my others are old am2+ machines with built in nv graphics and they all still work fine even at 10 years old. But the nvme drives make the upgrades all worth it.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

Thanks so much, that's exactly the type of info I was needing. I hadn't even heard of NVME drives. Shows you what happens when you're out of the market for so long!
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

Most people recommend SSD (or NVME) for system & database tables.
Old SATA rotating rust disks are fine for recordings.
I use a 8TB shingled HDD to archive keepers.

I started with 9400GT 12-13 yrs ago but long (never thought that card's vdpau decode PQ was that good) since replaced many times, now using GTX1050TI which has DP (& HDMI).
You lose VGA & DVI with later videocards but the GTX1050TI does not even start the fan.
GTX1030 or GTX1630 (when they start making them) should be a good option.
Some mobos (esp. Intel) need BIOS updates to use later videocards & RAM.

Intel or AMD offering should be a better option & software installation setup is much cleaner.
But AMD video decode feature set is really badly documented.
The latest Intel CPU/iGPU look to be superior to all others but at a price.
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

The prices these days are outrageous. With the factories having gone down (I think it's due to the pandemic?), some of these cards are selling in the $800 plus range, which is more than I was planning to spend for the whole computer. The AMD with integrated graphics is starting to look more appealing, although normally I would prefer to pick things a la carte.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

I've been very happy with my AMD Ryzen 3 2200G and 3200G cpu's. I'm sure there's a reason for high end video cards, but I just don't know what it is. Both will handle 2160 video.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

Many years ago the AMD video engine was an easy match for Nvidia in windows at least..
The AMD CPU iGPU should be fantastic & probably is.
What I don't like is the terrible documentation & near impossible task to figure the capability of any AMD GPU / video decode engine.
I what to know about the de-interlacers & scalers & any gotchas around video formats & codecs.
Nvidia has set a very high standard.
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

blm, I am curious why you say the spinning SATA drives are fine for recordings. I would have thought the speed advantages of the other types would improve playback. Is that not the case?

I’ve been generally happy with my SATA hard drives and gotten good life out of them, until just recently when the drive where I put my recordings keeps unmounting itself. Fsck fixes it every time, but I’m tired of fixing it every couple days. A big part of the reason for getting a new computer.
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Post by gedakc »

From my experience I've had no trouble recording 4 MPEG2 1080i/720p ATSC TV shows concurrently while simultaneously watching another recording using a single SATA II 3.5" 1 TB 7200 RPM Hard Disk Drive. To me this means that the additional speed provided by a SSD is not a requirement.

I do take advantage of an SSD for my MythTV boot drive because I have my PVR set to automatically wake and shutdown to conserve power. With the SSD the system boots much faster.
Last edited by gedakc on Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

The wake and shutdown is very important to me, so that is good to know!
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

Same here.. I use SSD for system & database..
Some of the "green" drives needed a setting changed to stop them parking & sleeping after 2 seconds idle..
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

If you're getting a new MB, I highly suggest you get one with M.2 NVME slot and nvme drive, NVME drives are many times faster than sata ssd drives.
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

Taking that advice, I've ordered this one:
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard ... v-1x/sp#sp
I was so happy with my current Gigabyte board and its longevity, it seemed fair to give the sale to them this time around.

For a CPU I went with the Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G

RAM has been purchased and nvme drives are on order

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas for everything to arrive!
deanpearl71
Newcomer
Canada

Post by deanpearl71 »

Linuxgrrl wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:14 pm
Taking that advice, I've ordered this one:

I was so happy with my current Gigabyte board and its longevity, it seemed fair to give the sale to them this time around.

For a CPU I went with the Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G

RAM has been purchased and nvme drives are on order

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas for everything to arrive!
when do you expect your delivery?)
do you know if it supports AMD PRO technologies?
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils."
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

don't scare me like that :) :)
yes, the PRO CPU that I ordered is on the supported list for the board, so hopefully it works.
I have received all parts. Now for the fun part ...