Working frontend

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Working frontend

Post by drifting »

Having spent weeks trying to revive an old Acer one which worked perfectly, sadly had to give up.
I bought a Rasp 4 and tried the dist that went on it, totally irritating, crashing all the time, so fed up with it it's staying in the drawer!

So, can someone please suggest a suitable frontend? Would an something with Nvidia graphics. Or I have read about the Nividia shield? Are they easy to setup and get working? How about an Android TV box? what have you used? and are they easy to setup?
Lastly I read of the 4K firestick, is this a contender.

To be honest, I am partially sighted so takes me four times longer to get anything working. So please any help really welcome. I do not mind inversting in any frontend if it works!

Best wishes
Paul
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Re: Working frontend

Post by gedakc »

drifting wrote:I bought a Rasp 4 and tried the dist that went on it, totally irritating, crashing all the time, ...
Two things that may cause a computer to be unstable are insufficient power supply and insufficient cooling. Perhaps this is what caused the instability you experienced?

I set up an RPi4 with MythTV and it has so far proven to be a reliable solution for recording OTA TV shows. I documented my steps and personal experience at Build a PVR using Raspberry Pi 4, MythTV, & HDHomeRun in case you should decide to try again.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

The Fire TV Stick and NVIDIA Shield are both good. I have had no problem with the third generation non-4K Fire TV Stick, but several people here recommend the 4K Fire TV Stick. Stay away from the Fire TV Cube. My main box has an Asus H110T board with Intel graphics with MythTV frontend and backend installed.
Ted | My blog
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Quite interested in the 4K Firestick, as I already have on here.
I did a bit of googling and could not find any instructions to installing the mythfrontend on it. Plenty on Kody, but that is such a terrible over complicated thing to use. I just love the simplicity of standard Myth.

Any help appreciated very much.

Paul
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

I have not tried this Android frontend, but I do use Leanfront on my Fire TV Stick (written instructions here, video instructions here).
Ted | My blog
jksj
Senior
Great Britain

Post by jksj »

The standard frontend runs fine on F4K, install using the link provided in the above post. (use the 32 bit version)
Leanfront (as mentioned above) also runs well. I had some issues with audio on UK broadcasts, to resolve this select ffmpeg for audio playback instead of automatic.
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Thank you so much for the hand holding, this is all new to me.

I have installed the platform-tools, have obtained the IP of the Firestick 4K

adb connect 10.81.0.195 That seemed to do something!

Then tried :-

adb install -r mythfrontend-20210221-arm-v31.0-138-g525e3b0bb4.apk
Performing Push Install
adb: error: failed to get feature set: device unauthorized.
This adb server's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set
Try 'adb kill-server' if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.

Erm not a clue from here on in....

Thanks for taking the time to help
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Post by gedakc »

drifting wrote:Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.
On my NVidia Shield this was the issue I encountered. Be sure to check the TV that is connected to the Android device for a dialog prompt asking to grant permission to install the APK file.
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Wide smile

Managed to install the 31 Mythtv frontend, did it by killing the tools server and restarting. Second time around it installed fine.
Always a problem of course. Cannot get it to play anything back from Myth, and the Android page assumes you know what they are on about! There is a list of settings at the bottom on the page
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android
The audio ones I found fine. But for the life of my I could not find any of those relating to the decoders. Now I am free to admit its me, not th sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes.

Can someone tell me how to set this Firestick 4K to play back recoded TV?

Thank you
jksj
Senior
Great Britain

Post by jksj »

I am not sure how far you have got. Is the frontend talking to the backend ie can you see a list of recordings?
I use mediacodec normal for video and Open SLES for audio. In version 31 the names may be slightly different. Opengl also works.
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Hi jksj

I have got everything else working great, just it flatly refuses to play back any recordings, Funnily enough I noticed that mediacoded, and that is what it was set to. So then I tried the Opengl and the lite.

Thanks
jksj
Senior
Great Britain

Post by jksj »

Having got the frontend running I cannot think what could be stopping playback.
Have you tried both SD & HD playback
From what source? Freeview or Freesat?
Live or recorded?
I would suggest renaming this thread to something like playback on Android or starting a new one in the Android section of this forum to attract someone with the relevant experience.
You could debug the issue by posting the log.
adb connect ip_address
adb logcat mfe:D *:S |& tee android.log

and..
Try either or both of android-MythTV-Leanfront or Kodi, they both work connecting easily to the Mythbackend.
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Thank you again for your help, the leanfront works well, I may just stay with that for now.
And the playback does not work on either, SD or Hd and I used Both FreeView
And then see if I can get this thread renamed and asked in the relevent place.

Thanks again