Fire Stick 4k

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Fire Stick 4k

Post by Linuxgrrl »

hi,
I need a cheap front end that will play HD OTA at 1080 (p or i, I'm not sure how to tell), as well as play back H264 that I am recording from an HDPVR.
Will the Amazon Fire Stick 4K do what I need?
I read somewhere that it has pushy advertising for Amazon on it ... is that true? Is there something else I can use that won't have that issue?

I already have a Raspberry Pi 3b with both Myth and Kodi but it is not powerful enough for smooth playback of my content.
Thanks,
Mary
bitspiel
Junior
United States of America

Re: Fire Stick 4k

Post by bitspiel »

I installed Plex onto a 4K Fire Stick (as well as installing Plex my backend) and it plays my OTA recordings seamlessly. Note: the NON 4K Fire Stick will only play back OTA HD recordings at 30 fps... as a result I don't recommend it.
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

Thanks. I forgot to mention, I also need it to play live TV - or, more accurately, watch recordings in progress. Would Plex do that?
bitspiel
Junior
United States of America

Post by bitspiel »

Short answer: Plex can play live OTA TV and it can even record OTA TV.

What I can't answer, as I haven't tried, is how well Mythtv and Plex "share" tuners and where does Plex get its OTA programming schedule. If you have a surplus of tuners then sharing isn't an issue.

My Mythtv system is managing over a decade of recordings and, to me, Plex is the new kid on the block. As a consequence, I have kept my Mythtv backend tasked with all the heavy lifting and the Plex on a 4K Fire Stick environment as a playback method only.
jksj
Senior
Great Britain

Post by jksj »

The 4K runs both Mythfrontend and Leanfront glitch free. If using Leanfrontend select ffmpeg for audio decode (that is probably just a UK issue).
Tested on current Master but v31 is probably the same, certainly with Leanfrontend.