basic question - Hauppauge HD-PVR

Do you want advice about what hardware to buy for use with MythTV? Ask here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

basic question - Hauppauge HD-PVR

Post by Linuxgrrl »

My cable box has composite video out (yay!) so it appears I should get the Hauppauge HD-PVR. I'm looking at the model 1212.

Question 1 - is that particular model well supported in Linux?

Question 2 - I see that the cable box will be connected to the HD-PVR via composite cable. But what type of cable connects the HD-PVR to my PC? Does it attach to the ethernetwork like an HD Homerun (I'm guessing not?) In the photos, I see an S-video receptacle on the HD-DVR, but I'm not sure what type of cable would connect to the PC (if that's even the right receptacle to be using).

Thanks! Just want to be sure before I plunk down $$ for this item.
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Re: basic question - Hauppauge HD-PVR

Post by Gribnif »

1. Yes, the 1212 is commonly used by MythTV users. I have two of them.
2. It uses a USB 2 port to connect to the PC. You'll also need to get audio from the cable box to the HD-PVR; if possible, use TOSLINK (S/PDIF) for best quality.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

If your cable channels are encrypted but not copy restricted, consider replacing the cable box with an HDHomeRun Prime. They are available new from SiliconDust for a limited time.

https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/
Ted | My blog
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

Thanks! Is there a way to tell if my programs are copy protected, like a forum? I am mainly interested in sports programming from ESPN and a regional network called MASN here in the mid-Atlantic USA. I have FIOS and the website seems to say that copy protection is on a per-show basis.
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

Thanks! Is there a way to tell in advance if my programs are copy protected, like a forum? I am mainly interested in sports programming from ESPN and a regional network called MASN here in the mid-Atlantic USA. I have FIOS and the website seems to say that copy protection is on a per-show basis.
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Post by Gribnif »

If you are using the component or composite output from a cable box, there is no way that copy protection/encryption will be an issue. It's only a possible problem if you are using HDMI to connect the cable box to the HD-PVR.
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

That seems to be a reason to pick the Hauppauge over the Homerun Prime then, I guess. I’ll have to deal with the IR blaster and running a long USB2 cable, but I won’t be at risk of my cable co suddenly deciding it wants to drm my favorite programs.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

An HDHR Prime with MythTV works with copy freely and clear QAM.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/us-cablecard-c ... t/156561/7
Verizon FiOS: Locals are ClearQAM, expanded basic are copy-freely, except for Fox channels, which are copy-once. Premiums are also copy-once.
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community ... t-11872530
There are sometimes slight market differences, but typically FiOS marks most content as copy-freely, with the exceptions of the premium channels (the HBOs, the Cinemaxs, etc. which are mark as copy-once) and due to request by Fox, the Fox (previously owned and managed) cable network stations (which included among others Fox News, FX, and NatGeo). AFAIK the Disney acquisition has not (yet?) resulted in any changes to the protection settings on the stations which are now owned and managed by Disney.
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community ... t-11809773
Last I checked, the copy-prohibited channels on Fios were the HBO group (including Cinemax), and the Fox group (including National Geographic, etc.). That's all. Recordings from other channels could be freely transferred.
Ted | My blog
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

Solid info, thank you! At first I thought no problem, I can live without the Fox family, but then my spouse reminded me that Fox Sports sometimes carries the US Women’s National soccer team. So I guess it’s a Hauppauge for us. Good to have the info.